Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #1

Share |

My CEILING FAN just fell on the couch, HELP!

here's the damage. I am not DIY savvy by any means, but does anyone think I (novice) can reconnect this thing?

ps, sorry about the cobwebs. help!

louweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #2

methinks its time for a new fan

while you are at it make sure the box is rated for a fan (many people just stick fans on boxes that are designed to hold a 2 pound light fixture )

Also, is that part still attached to the ceiling cracked or is that a spider web? if its cracked replace it

while your up there remove the cobwebs

kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp22 View Post
methinks its time for a new fan

while you are at it make sure the box is rated for a fan (many people just stick fans on boxes that are designed to hold a 2 pound light fixture )

Also, is that part still attached to the ceiling cracked or is that a spider web? if its cracked replace it

while your up there remove the cobwebs
The unit is actually very nice and solid. It just need a good cleaning, thats all. (and no, its not cracked.) Would really like to keep it because its been so reliable and really does the room justice with circulating the air (unlike the newer cheaper models). You think I can re-wire it?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Time for a new fan. The problem was that the setscrew was not tightened against the drop rod and allowed it to unscrew.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Time for a new fan. The problem was that the setscrew was not tightened against the drop rod and allowed it to unscrew.
why do i need a whole new fan? can't it just be re-wired? assuming i will have to hire an electrician to come over to do it .
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #6

Lou,

its up to you. but the cost of having it professionally rewired might exceed the cost of a new one.

personal choice.

Kevin
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinp22 For This Useful Post:
louweed (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Lou,

its up to you. but the cost of having it professionally rewired might exceed the cost of a new one.

personal choice.

Kevin
thats kinda what i thought. maybe a find a local tech who'd be willing to do it cheap i guess. thanks for the advice/help!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Lou,

personal choice.

Kevin
btw, how much do u think a local electrician would charge to come out and re-wire?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #9

I have this sudden urge to go vacuum all of my ceiling fans.
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
I have this sudden urge to go vacuum all of my ceiling fans.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #11

It would be silly to hire someone to rewire the fan. Take the fan apart and see how easy it is to do yourself. This is a DIY project if I ever saw one.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
It would be silly to hire someone to rewire the fan. Take the fan apart and see how easy it is to do yourself. This is a DIY project if I ever saw one.
OK, care to walk me thru it? please?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #13

You can replace the wiring yourself. You will have to check the wiring going back into the ceiling box and also down into the fan unit quite far because the wires got stretched and twisted before the fan fell. At the very least the entire pieces of wire from the broken point need to be replaced.

The ceiling mount is not proven to be too flimsy and is probably okay. One of the intermediate joints came apart just from looseness.

It is possible you need to replace the entire fan unit because the blades may have gotten bent out of balance when the fan unit hit the couch. You probably won't know that until you get it reinstalled and turned it on to the highest setting.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-04-2012 at 11:16 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Just a DIY guy

First, take a short length of the wires from the fan (or take the fan) to the hardware store and get about 3 feet of each color, using the same size and type of wire.

Second, turn off the electricity, preferably at the circuit breaker. Then take off the ceiling mount. When you get to the ceiling box, cut the wires on the fan side of the wire nuts, leaving just a bit of wire so you can tell what color wire from the fan goes to which nut.

Third, you'll have to disassemble the fan to connect and run the new wires. Ideally, you'd like to run all new wire, but the connection in the fan is likely soldered, and it sounds like you don't know how. Maybe you could take the fan pieces to a tech and have him redo it for you. If the old wire is held on by wire ties, etc., make sure to secure the new wire so it won't get caught in any moving parts. If the wire connections inside the fan are solid, you might be able to get by with cutting and splicing the old wire onto the new wire, using wire nuts.

WHen you reattach the fan to the ceiling, remove the old wire nuts one at a time, noting the color of the wire that was on there, and reattaching your new wire of the same color. Make sure you tighten the set screw on the downrod, as that was what caused your old fan to fall off. (NOTE THAT ORANGE STICKER ON YOUR PHOTOS, TELLING YOU TO TIGHTEN THE SET SCREWS!)

If you don't follow this, then you'd better get a pro.

Good luck.

Last edited by M3 Pete; 05-04-2012 at 11:57 AM.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #15

My children and I sitting on cough watching TV, heard the fan start to wobble and within seconds it crashed to the floor after hitting me in the back; I had a professional elcetrician install this and for one year it ran steady and smooth until this incident. I take pride in keeping all my fans vaccumed and cleaned. I cannot believe that one swcrew keeps this unit from falling. Poor design if you ask me. I called hunter and they are sending out a different modle. I can tell you that those pictures you took look axactly like mine.::

cdowling1 is offline   Reply With Quote