Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #1

Share |

My Brain is Fried!

Hi folks,

First post here; surely not the last! I've been working on an investment property which I will be living in shortly. This property was a foreclosure and it was a total mess. I'm trying to keep my budget as tight as possible and I'm doing it all myself - cleaning, flooring, cabinetry, carpentry, plumbing, electrical...the whole nine. I've done a bit of electrical work over the years; however, with all I've got on my plate I just can't retrieve a lot of the simple stuff from my brain's archives! I have a simple situation, but somehow I just can't get my head clear enough to remember the basics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ok, hopefully the quick diagram I created shows up in this post. I am converting this home's dining room into an office, complete with full glass doors, a wall mounted flat screen and wall sconces. This will be MY sanctuary, and it needs to be right!

Before the remodel, the room had a single wall switch which ran back to a separate dimmer on a wall outside of the room near the hallway pass-through powering a ceiling fixture. Im hanging a door where this pass-through was so the dimmer will be useless. I toned out the 14/3 line to the dimmer and terminated it at both ends. What I want to do now is replace the cheesy builders chandelier with a cool ceiling fan and add a couple of techy wall sconces. I removed the single gang box and installed an old work, 2 gang in its place. I now have the following in the box: (all Romex is 14/2) (1) line in (hot), (1) line out (to another room), (1) line to the ceiling box and (1) line to a new junction box in the crawlspace, which feeds (2) lines for the sconces. I want to simply install a single pole switch for the fan/light and a dimmer for the sconces. All the lines are run and ready for switches. For the life of me, I just can't recall the connections in the box. Please help!!

Thanks in advance!!

Mov

Last edited by movick724; 06-01-2008 at 06:03 AM. Reason: My Brain is Fried!
movick724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

My Brain is Fried!

Take all the whites and twist them together and wirenut. Take the black from the hot, the "loop" black and 2 pieces of black wire ~6-8 inches long and twist them together and wirenut. Take all the grounds and 2 more pieces ~6-8 inches long and twist together and wirenut. Take the 2 blacks you've "pigtailed" and go to the top of each switch. Take the black from wall sconces to one switch and the black from the ceiling fixture to the other switch.

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #3

My Brain is Fried!

Wow that was quick..thanks!!! I assume I'd connect the white wire from the dimmer switch to the black lead from the sconce line? Some dimmers have a red or 3rd lead... do I leave that unconnected or do I need a specific 2 wire dimmer for this application? They do make 2 wire dimmers yes?

Thanks again!!

Last edited by movick724; 06-01-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

My Brain is Fried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movick724 View Post
Wow that was quick..thanks!!! I assume I'd connect the white wire from the dimmer switch to the black lead from the sconce line? They do make 2 wire dimmers yes?

Thanks again!!

Yes they do make a single pole dimmer but it should be 2 colored wires (not white)
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Licensed Pro

My Brain is Fried!

One suggestion: Run 14/3 to the fan/light so you can control each individually.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #6

My Brain is Fried!

Thanks again guys!

HH - I've done torn the poor old house apart enough; snaking 14/3 to the ceiling box isn't practical for me at this late juncture. Thankfully many fans these days work off of 2 wire wall switches which control speed and lighting.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

My Brain is Fried!

unless you have replaced the ceiling box with a fan rated box, you should not be mounting a fan to it. Either install a fan rated box or find another way to mount the fan.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #8

My Brain is Fried!

I second Househelpers post. I learned a long time ago if you are not running conduit, always run a three wire cable to all ceiling boxes. The convenience of being able to control fan and light seperately is definatley a plus in my book. Maybe I'm lazy, but using pull chains is not practicle.
In some cases I have had to install remotes for fans. With a remote control you can control lights and fan seperately with one power source. I just insatalled one in a gazebo recently and I really like the ease of use.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote