Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #1

Share |

My 220V Dryer controls several 110v circuits after a heavy 4 day rainstorm, help!!

Hi everyone,

I have a problem that started on the 4th day of a rain storm up here in Michigan.

The main power line going into my house was mortared and caulked but over time it has developed a leak that allows a small amount of water to run down into the circuit breaker box, I noticed today that there was water accumulating at the bottom of a couple of the wires (bottom of a loop).

I took off all the breakers and check for water running behind the breakers but everything is dry.

Even with all circuit breakers on, there are several outlets throughout my house that are not powered.

Only when I turn on my 220V dryer do the 110V outlets get power to it. Oddly enough the dryer spins but does not produce heat indicating that there is an issue with the 220V power to the dryer.

I've tried replacing the 30A 220V dryer circuit breaker but with no success.

Has anyone had issues with a appliance "controlling" other outlets power feed? I think I am experiencing unintended backfeeding but don't know how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ramsdellcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #2

My 220V Dryer controls several 110v circuits after a heavy 4 day rainstorm, help!!

alright with a little research found the reason why all these things happen.

"Your house is fed by two hot legs, call them X and Y. Half of the breakers run off the X leg, the others run off the Y leg. Somehow, you have lost your Y leg. It may be laying loose in the back of the panel ready to start a fire.

Your dryer is connected to both legs for 240volt. When you turn on your dryer, the heater coil connect the two legs, hoping for 240vac, but getting none. But it is back feeding half of the house. Every now and then your dryer turns off the heat, and that drops the lights for a moment.

I bet you can have the same thing if you turn on your electric stove.

get an electrician and tighten down that lost Y leg."

ramsdellcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Contact the power company.
It seems you have lost a leg
Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #4

I think you've lost one leg from the pole. When you run the dryer it is then backfeeding the other circuits.

Get the leak fixed ASAP, it can lead to you having to replace the panel and breakers.

I'd turn off the dryer breaker as well.

It may be the POCO, you may need an electrician as well. The water may be causing a problem at the meter socket.

Last edited by AandPDan; 09-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Tileguy

I wonder if maybe you have lost one leg?
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Lost a leg. Call the POCO.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I wonder if maybe you have lost one leg?
It would really be hard, if he was a ballroom dancer, or played something like football or soccer.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #8

THe million dollar question is, do you call your own electrician first or do you call the power company first.

With some electrical know how of your own you can do voltage tests and narrow down on where the leg was broken and make a better although not foolproof decision on whom to call first. This is the DIY part for which this forum was established.

For example if you flipped off the main breaker and measured zero volts from one of the big "hot" lugs to the big neutral lug where the incoming service wires are attached, then that almost certainly points to the break outside your house. The next point upstream that a measurement can be done is probably the meter socket box and only the power company rep may open that up and do tests inside.

With no electrical know how you can't be blamed for calling the power company first.

It is better not to use the dryer to bridge the current over to the dead leg for use by things plugged into the dead receptacles. If lots of power is drawn the voltage on the dead leg made live will drop and it is better not to operate appliances and electronics on abnormally low voltage.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-08-2011 at 05:07 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #9

Do we get credit for saying the same thing the previous FIVE posters have said? Just wondering since I agree with all 5, but seems a bit asinine to just repeat "LOST A LEG". Just wondering...............
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Do we get credit for saying the same thing the previous FIVE posters have said? Just wondering since I agree with all 5, but seems a bit asinine to just repeat "LOST A LEG". Just wondering...............
Just building the post count!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #11

Lost a leg?

Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote