My 125A Square D HomeLine Will Not Accept Tandem Breakers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 165
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

My 125A Square D HomeLine will not accept tandem breakers

I have recently gotten back to work on my project. I have about finished roughing in the wiring. I had planned to run about 28 circuits in my 24 slot HomeLine main panel by the usage of some tandem breakers.

Come to find out that the tandem breakers would not go in. I took them back to HD and tried them on a 200A HomeLine panel they had for sale there. The area where the breakers snapped in was different on the 200A panel.

So now I'm at a conundrum. Should I try to pare down the number of circuits, or put in a bigger box. What does the power company need to do in order to upgrade my service to 200A? Obviously, I will have to hire a professional electrician as the head city inspector has told me that he will not allow homeowners to make changes to anything on the city side of the main breaker.

Money is a big issue on this project...but if this can be done somewhat economically then I may want to go ahead and upgrade the service along with a bigger main panel. But if it's going to be $5K then forget it, I don't have that much to spend on a diversion of this magnitude.


brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
You talking to me?
nap's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 7,551
Rewards Points: 6,290

If you need the circuit count, you need the circuit count. That is something you will need to decide.

if money is an object, you can install something like a 200 amp MLO (main lug only) panel and backfeed the panel with whatever size breaker your current service is. Make sure the panel is rated as service equipment. That way, you would not be changing anything on the city side of the main breaker.
You can even use a 200 amp MB (main breaker) panel and just not use the main breaker but backfeed with the smaller breaker. Just be sure, in either case, that you put the "service disconnect" sticker by the appropriate breaker.

It would also allow you to eventually upsize to a 200 amp service in the future using the panel you already have.

Even less expensive (generally) is installing a sub-panel.


nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
joed's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 13,461
Rewards Points: 13,722
Blog Entries: 11

Install a sub panel.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 3,471
Rewards Points: 3,130

There should be a sticker on you panel somewhere that lists the breakers that are approved for it. Some panels are not approved for any tandems, while others are approved but only in specific slots.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SQUARE D TANDEM 15A SP Breakers 57_Hemi Electrical 6 07-30-2010 11:02 PM
Square D breakers in a Homeline box itsallhistory Electrical 3 03-22-2010 01:55 PM
Can I install tandem breakers to stop my breakers from tripping? sofakng Electrical 1 04-29-2009 01:44 PM
tandem breakers hompac Electrical 3 10-13-2008 06:33 PM
Sub-Panel or Tandem Circuit Breakers? dgoldsmith Electrical 2 03-08-2008 12:34 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1