Must I Solder Old Wire Connections? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Must I solder old wire connections?

Thank goodness for a site that provides such consumer DIY advice! Through one link I've discovered that a GFI between old and new wiring will protect the circuit. But I've also read that the proper way to join the old cloth-wrapped two wire cord is by solder. Does this apply to making the GFI connection? All help is appreciat4ed

Advertisement

meloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are in the US, it is not legal to have a joint that depends on solder only for it's means of connection. Solder was used quite a few years ago before the invention of Wire-Nuts

We don't use solder anymore.

A gfi will not protect the circuit. That isn't what it is designed to do. It is for personnel protection.

Explain what's you are doing and you will probably get a few suggestions as to the best way to do things.

just a note: you cannot extend a circuit that does not have a equipment ground conductor (EGC; ground wire). Not sure what you are doing but was thinking that might be applicable to your situation.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #3

nap
Thanks for the reply. I suppose I was not very clear... I have an old home with mixed wiring. most is new but some is not. The electrical circuit box is no more than 5 years old. I do have one old wire wire running out of the circuit box, into the pump house (which is connected to the house but not floored or well insulated) and then returning to the house where it powers several fixtures. When I asked about joining old and new wires I was referring to several posts like this: "Receptacles in homes wired without grounding can have receptacles replaced with GFCI receptacles.Its not necessary to replace all the recpts. as any outlets that are wired 'down stream' from GFCI recpts. are protected also."
Just so you know I won't do this myself but I want to know what SHOULD be done. I, like the electrician who put in the panel to start with, don't feel a need to re-wire the few affected receptacles. But i would like to have the pump removed from the circuit...and that means old and new wires will meet.
On This Old House they say old wires should be joined with solder then heavily taped because the connection is better. But what do I know? That's why I'm asking!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Solder hasn't been used for electrical wiring for probably 50 or so years. The only time I run across it (and I am an electrician by trade) is when I work on very old buildings.

The National Electrical Code (the electricians bible) specifically does not allow a wire joint that is made with only solder.

In the situation with the GFCI's. Yes, you can install one and it can protect up to 4 or 5 (you have to read what your GFCI receptacle is rated for) more receptacles fed from that one GFCI receptacle.

I don't know where This Old House is coming up with a soldered connection. It just isn't allowed in the manner they suggest.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
meloday (01-26-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

This Old House has been the source of some of the WORST advice I have ever seen or heard. How those freakin hacks stay on the air is beyond me!

Norm knows his furniture, that's about it!
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (01-25-2011), Saturday Cowboy (01-26-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,050

A joint to be soldered must not pull apart easily prior to the application of the solder.

A properly done solder joint is better electrically than a wire nutted joint. A significant disadvantage of solder is that it is cumbersome to undo if you want to modify or replace something.

Twisting wires together (either hot wires or ground wires) is not sufficient by itself; either solder or some compression device such as a wire nut is needed.

Stranded wires can also be held together with wire nuts.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,050

A joint to be soldered must not pull apart easily prior to the application of the solder.

Twisting wires together (either hot wires or ground wires) is not sufficient by itself; either solder or some compression device such as a wire nut is needed.

If you are just removing the pump wiring from the junction box, then old wires and new wires already met there. Either that was improper to begin with or the "new" wires were "old" enough to be grandfathered. Ideally you wanted to run a new cable from the circuit box to the pump shed junction box to connect with the "new" wire going back into the house.
meloday (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #8

I appreciate all the input. I was much more confident when I hired an electrician. All tasks were done and done both quickly and correctly.

Advertisement

Tags
connecting , gfi , old house , solder