Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #1

Share |

Must cables be tight?

I have noticed that most people run cable and make it straight and tight so it just fits to the box. I always like to leave a little slack in the line in case I later need to move a box or cut off some wire and reconnect. When the cable is so tight there is no slack for modifications. Is there some code stating cables must be this way?

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Must cables be tight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post

I have noticed that most people run cable and make it straight and tight so it just fits to the box.
...When the cable is so tight there is no slack for modifications.

Plan the work... then work the plan.
The guy who comes through 30 years later to do some changes or modification will figure it out.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #3

Must cables be tight?

I'm the same way, I like some slack for any future additions or modifications.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #4

Must cables be tight?

type NM must be secured within 8" of a non metallic box...leads inside the box should be at lease 6" long....this is the code...
Bobka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Must cables be tight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Plan the work... then work the plan.
THIS. By the time you're running wire the placement of the boxes should already be permanent.

Leaving slack inside the walls invites future problems like someone else coming along expecting to be able to fish a line through it and getting caught on the extra. Or worse, nicking it and raising the risk of fire.

The only time we didn't have boxes permanently placed was for bathroom vanities and some wall sconces. For those we left a length of wire lightly tacked up with staples. Then it was a simple matter of cutting the hole for the box later, reaching for the wire and pulling it loose. The key was only lighting attaching the staples, not fully hammered down. But this was only during the construction process and did not remain that way past final inspections.

I suppose the same hack could be done for an extra length of wire for boxes you "know you're going to move". But if you know they need to move then it'd be better to have a plan for that instead of putting in non-standard wiring. Like knowing how wire would be fished later from another junction box.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote