Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Murray/Bryant Circuit Breaker and Panel

Panel is Murray and Breakers are Bryant. Service is about 40+ years old. Tried to replace 15/15 and 20/20 breakers with Murray and cutler hammer but both do not fit.I do not believe that Bryant is produced anymore. Is there a current replacement of do I have to go to the aftermarket. If it is aftermarket, how specific do I have to be to get the exact replacement?

Jfr0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfr0521 View Post
Panel is Murray and Breakers are Bryant. Service is about 40+ years old. Tried to replace 15/15 and 20/20 breakers with Murray and cutler hammer but both do not fit.I do not believe that Bryant is produced anymore. Is there a current replacement of do I have to go to the aftermarket. If it is aftermarket, how specific do I have to be to get the exact replacement?
Your panel should have a model number and say what type of breaker is used. I have a 30 amp double pole breaker that was purchased at Ace Hardware and is Labeled and Listed for use in some Murray, Westinghouse, General Electric, Siemens, Challenger, and Thomas & Betts panels.
So, what does the label on your panel tell you?

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Licensed Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfr0521 View Post
If you are trying to replace tandem breakers (two breakers in one case), you may have a panel that does not accept CTL tandems, but the ones previously used were a non-CTL design, meaning they will fit in a panel that is not designed to limit the number of tandems (typical of older panels). Look for a tandem breaker that is "non-CTL" listed, and expect to pay 2-3 times as much.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

You are apparently using BD1515 and BD2020 breakers, which are CTL type.

Try the BR1515 and BR2020 type which are non-CTL type. They will cost 3 times as much, however.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote