Multiple ?'s On New Wiring. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

multiple ?'s on new wiring.

1. So since I've been in my house there has been a 100amp panel in my garage but is not wired properly and I want to fix that.

I am looking to see what wire I would need to supply that panel from my main panel? I will probably be going with conduit above ground around my house. I'm looking upwards of 60-75ft run.

2. Will be doing a heatpump system and looking to see what wire I may need for that. From what I have found is that the plan is to use my exhisting breaker from my wall unit that will be disconected and running that out to the heatpump unit(mini split) and that is currently a 20 or 30amp. What size wire would that need to be and this will be run in conduit also above ground about a 20-30ft run?

3. can both these runs be done in the same conduit?

4. Also looking into a generator input box on the outside of the house and doing one of these kits... http://www.interlockkit.com/feedthrough01.htm since my utility is a pain about having a dpdt meter box put in or anything to do with a generator behind there meter. And the room with the main panel is a bedroom and is finished so can't do a seperate panel. Coult that be run out the same conduit from the wall?

Advertisement

montec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #2

I also want to point out the the garages was already wired with 1 outdoor outlet, two outlets on one wall, and 3 on the 2 side walls, three outlets on the ceiling controlled by light switches, garage door on its own circuit, another light on the ceiling controlled by light switch and an outdoor light by the walk in door. there was also some wire in place for 220 outlet but wasn't hooked up.

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

That's a lot of info but not as much background, as far as how much you're capable of or familiar with and what you're starting with and what you mean by what's wrong with what your starting with...

As far as putting in a heat pump, if you look through my posting history you'll see I'm pretty crazy for how much electrical I've gotten into, but I'm not sure that's something I'd tackle... If you'd be using a contractor to install this, I'd think the best idea would be to let them handle that or at least let the direction come from them.

You might want to take a look through other posts... I've been doing a new 100 amp subpanel and most of it is either in my blog or in threads I've started in this forum. Click on my name here to the left and search for threads started by me. If you read through all of this it will help you get an understanding of the scope of this kind of project once you get into all the detail involved.

One question that comes to mind is whether there is really 100A to the garage. A 100 A panel might be in use, but it might be attached to a smaller breaker in the main panel in the house. The wire doesn't need to be large enough for 100A if it's being fed by a smaller breaker in the house and that might be the situation for you. Certainly with the things you've described as being in the garage 100A is not needed, not unless the 240V receptacle was connected and being used for a fairly large welder. Do you have any need for anything like that?

Another key piece of info is location.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
That's a lot of info but not as much background, as far as how much you're capable of or familiar with and what you're starting with and what you mean by what's wrong with what your starting with...

As far as putting in a heat pump, if you look through my posting history you'll see I'm pretty crazy for how much electrical I've gotten into, but I'm not sure that's something I'd tackle... If you'd be using a contractor to install this, I'd think the best idea would be to let them handle that or at least let the direction come from them.

You might want to take a look through other posts... I've been doing a new 100 amp subpanel and most of it is either in my blog or in threads I've started in this forum. Click on my name here to the left and search for threads started by me. If you read through all of this it will help you get an understanding of the scope of this kind of project once you get into all the detail involved.

One question that comes to mind is whether there is really 100A to the garage. A 100 A panel might be in use, but it might be attached to a smaller breaker in the main panel in the house. The wire doesn't need to be large enough for 100A if it's being fed by a smaller breaker in the house and that might be the situation for you. Certainly with the things you've described as being in the garage 100A is not needed, not unless the 240V receptacle was connected and being used for a fairly large welder. Do you have any need for anything like that?

Another key piece of info is location.
I'm not affraid of sparky as many people in my area call it. I've done new wire runs inside before as well as the std replacing outlets, 2-way and 3-way light switches. Have done ceiling fan instalation and replacement.

My father-in-law is setting me up with the heatpump(mini-split) but I am in charge of the electrical. In my area it is legal for the owner to do electrical as long as it is up to code. I'm in ND

The largest thing I will be running in the garage is my 240V air compressor that I'm tired of dragging out a 75ft cord to run to the dryer outlet in the house. The garage has 3wire 240V wire rated to I think it was 40 or 50amps. It is flexible and very similar to what I'm using for my extension cord. I'm not home so I can't look and verify right now.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #5

If more information is needed please let me know. I will provide as much as I can.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #6

Ok to revise my questions since I know know a bit more.

1st. For 12-2 wiring outside for a mini-split heat pump running conduit does anyone know how long a run you can use for the flexible conduit or even the pvc type? and also how close you have to be to an outlet before you have to put one one?

2nd. Figured out the wiring for the garage going 6-3w ground. now running that thru the floor joists in the house then outside. what size conduit can I get away with 3/4 or 1"?

I know the city I live in is on the 2009 IBC.

Advertisement