Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

multiple neutrals one lug

Hi, Just lost power to my outdoor elec receptacle and assumed the gfci circuit breaker was bad but finally troubleshot it to the recept in the bathroom which was wired usng only the push in contacts and apparently branches off to the outside recept. I'll bet you electricians have seen that a million times. While in the panel, I noticed that there are several lugs with 2 and 3 neutrals under the same lug. I thought this was not allowed but the box seems to have provision for more circuit breakers than it does to accomodate all the grounds and neutrals. (Federal Pacific 100 amp about 35 years old) Doesn't look like any way off adding additional ground bus. Any advise for me? Do you consider the multiple neutrals a dangerous condition or should I leave it alone.
Also.. Would there be any pro or con to ditching the gfci circuit breaker and installing a gfci in the bathroom instead? Which is the better way to provide the ground fault protection.? Thanks

SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,472

multiple neutrals one lug

The rule is one neutral per hole. This was not very clear in the way it was in the code. Now it is clarified.

The GFI protection can be provided by either the breaker or a GFI receptacle.

I don't see why another ground bar could not be added to give you room for the neutrals.