Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #1

Share |

multiple devices on a 220V circuit?

I currently have a 50 amp 220 circuit installed in my garage. I only have one outlet installed currently. Would it be possible to tap into that circuit to hardwire my air compressor in, keeping the existing outlet for my welder?

I would not not use both tools at the same time. I just want to have the convenience of only having to flip a switch on the compressor, while also having an outlet to use for my welder.

Lastly, the circuit is wired for 50 amps, but both tools require 30amp breakers. Is it okay to use the tools w/ the 50 amp breaker, or should I replace it with a 30amp breaker?

Thanks for your thoughts.

mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #2

Your breaker can only be the Max allowed by the smallest device

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

I would read the manufacturer's instructions and use the recommended breaker size.

Then if there is a problem with something like a stuck motor, maybe the breaker would trip?

But if too large a breaker, then I would think the motor might get fried? Or worse - cause a fire?
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

You could maybe install a small sub panel off that wire, so then you would have another 50 amp breaker for the welder and a 30 amp or w/e the compressor needs.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #5

Both, the compressor motor and the welder have reset switches on them, so wouldn't that protect them? If not, I'll go ahead and replace the breaker with a 30amp breaker.

But back to my first question if you folks don't mind- I only have one outlet installed currently in that 220v circuit. Would it be possible to tap into that circuit to hardwire my air compressor in, keeping the existing outlet for my welder (knowing that I'll never use both at the same time)?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #6

The Max breaker you should have installed is the Max allowed by the device that uses the least power
Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
The Max breaker you should have installed is the Max allowed by the device that uses the least power
Thanks for the help. I will install a 30amp breaker.

But back to my first question if you folks don't mind- I only have one outlet installed currently in that 220v circuit. Would it be possible hardwire my air compressor into the existing circuit, keeping the existing outlet for my welder (knowing that I'll never use both at the same time)?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #8

What is the faceplate rating on the compressor ?
Different rules when you hardwire something
Old 01-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
What is the faceplate rating on the compressor ?
Different rules when you hardwire something
The motor has a rating of 18 running amps. They recommend using a 30amp breaker and said it could be hardwired. What different rules were you referring to?

Would it be possible hardwire the compressor into the existing circuit, keeping the existing outlet for my welder (knowing that I'll never use both at the same time)? Or is there something against code doing it that way?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #10

When you hardwire you can't have other devices on a circuit when you have a device that exceeds 50% of the circuit rating

Not sure of the exact wording.....
Old 01-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #11

I may be making incorrect assumptions but the OP said "I currently have a 50 amp 220 circuit installed in my garage. I only have one outlet installed currently" and "Would it be possible to tap into that circuit to hardwire my air compressor in, keeping the existing outlet for my welder". If one outlet is existing I am assuming he is using it for the welder and the compressor. If so, and neither the welder or compressor is hardwired, can he have two outlets on the 220 circuit? I have seen two outlet of different types in a small manufacturing shop on the same circuit but is it to code?

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #12

You can't put a device that is rated & requires a 30a breaker on a 50a circuit (as far as I know)
Multiple outlets are OK, something like 20a 240v outlets with all 20a 240v tools that plug in
Or same idea with 30a 240v outlets & items rated for 30a 240v

You can have different types of outlets
I'm not aware of any Code that allows different tools that require different max breakers on the same circuit
Does not mean that code does not exist - I just do not know

But I don't deal with a lot of 240v tools, all depends upon their ratings
Welders usually have a very large Max breaker requirement due to start up amps pulled

If you needed 50a for a welder, but wanted to use 20a or 30a devices on the same circuit a small breaker panel feed before the 20a/30a tools would be best IMO
Old 01-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Then if there is a problem with something like a stuck motor, maybe the breaker would trip?

But if too large a breaker, then I would think the motor might get fried? Or worse - cause a fire?
Ayuh,... I'm Not an Electrican, but do a ton of wiring...
It's My impression that circuit breakers are designed to save the Wiring,.. Not the devices plugged into the circuits...
I don't know what the codes are,.. But,... I've got my welders wired to the same circuits the compressors run on,...
Either device is under the rating of the breaker,+ both are never run at the same time...
Quote:
Would it be possible to tap into that circuit to hardwire my air compressor in, keeping the existing outlet for my welder?
Sooo,... Codes aside, Yes that'll Work...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #14

Great - I believe the OP has an answer to his question. Since both his tools require 30 amp protection as long neither are hardwired it will meet code.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #15

Thanks for the input guys.

For the record, when they were building the house last year, I had them put the 240v outlet in the garage. They wired it for the 50amp breaker not knowing what the intended use of the circuit was for.

I intend to replace the breaker with a 30 amp one since that is what my 2 tools (welder, compressor) recommend. I don't believe there is a problem in doing this is there? It just means the wire will be oversized for the circuit right?