Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Developer by Day

Send a message via AIM to KevinACrider
Share |

Multiple Appliances on 220 Volt Outlet

During a bathroom remodel I removed 2x 220 volt baseboard heaters. I will be installing 1 new heater on the same line. This will be the only appliance on this circuit. I've just brought my 220 volt air compressor home as well, and I do not have any empty slots in my breaker box to wire it up.

Is it possible to connect the air compressor and a single baseboard heater on the same 220 circuit, assuming I have the correct size breaker, without doing any damage? In all instances previously I have had the air compressor on it's own dedicated breaker, but that is no longer doable. I also have a 220 volt welder that could use some juice but I do not want to throw that into the equation yet as I may never use it until we move again. Not much room around here to be welding.

KevinACrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #2

I think I would rather try to find a couple "light loaded" 110 breakers and combine them...there-by freeing up 2 spaces for a new 220 breaker.

To answer your actual question, I don't think it would damage anything, but it may trip if the heater and the compressor are both running at the same time...depending on how much current each one draws, naturally.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Developer by Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
I think I would rather try to find a couple "light loaded" 110 breakers and combine them...there-by freeing up 2 spaces for a new 220 breaker.

To answer your actual question, I don't think it would damage anything, but it may trip if the heater and the compressor are both running at the same time...depending on how much current each one draws, naturally.
Right, I do understand it comes down to the current draw and I do not have that information on hand. I can get it tonight and post it here.

I will have to investigate further and see if I can find some lightly loaded 110 circuits, I would only need to free up one.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
I will have to investigate further and see if I can find some lightly loaded 110 circuits, I would only need to free up one.

I assume that means you already have one space open...because, I'm sure you know a 220 breaker needs 2 spaces.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #5

or you could replace 4 single pole breaker by 2 tandem breakers (be very careful with mwbc if doing that), that will free up 2 spaces
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Developer by Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post

I assume that means you already have one space open...because, I'm sure you know a 220 breaker needs 2 spaces.
I'm sorry, yes, 2 spaces technically. My box has openings grouped in 2's, so 1 space is actually 2 circuits, or 1x 220 breaker, etc etc. But yes, I know what you mean.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Developer by Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmusic View Post
or you could replace 4 single pole breaker by 2 tandem breakers (be very careful with mwbc if doing that), that will free up 2 spaces
Are those the single space breakers with 2 tiny little levers on them?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #8

yes they are

carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote