Multiple 3-way Dimmers + 1 3-way Switch On One Circuit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Multiple 3-way dimmers + 1 3-way switch on one circuit

I moved into a new house. I have a 4-gang wall plate which had 3 single pole dimmers and 1 3-way switch. The 3-way switch never had any effect, but the 3 dimmers each controlled their own bank of lights that are all on one circuit.

The dimmers had two black wires each. One of each was connected to it's own hot, while the other wire was pigtailed from one dimmer to the next, where it was finally pigtailed to the 3 way switch.

With the exception of the switch not doing anything, the dimmers all worked fine.

I decided I wanted to replace the dimmers with 3-way dimmers and take advantage of the 3-way switch as well. The new Leviton dimmers have 1 black and 2 red wires. The 3-way switch has 2 black wires and 1 red wire connected.

I connected the 3 dimmers, the red wire of each goes to the hot for it's bank of lights, and the black wire pigtails to the next dimmer, with the final dimmer pig tailing to the switch.

Now, the switch still has no effect, but only the first two dimmers will turn on their lights - the 3rd dimmer turned on its lights a couple of times but now it doesn't turn on those lights at all.

Ack! What do I do?

Advertisement

onelesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

So I re-wired the whole thing, and changed positions of the dimmers, to try and rule out the 3rd dimmer being defective. The non-working dimmer was moved to the 1st position, and it still doesn't work, but the 2nd and 3rd do now. I must have a defective one, going to return it.

Still can't figure out why the switch isn't working though.

Advertisement

onelesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,514

My guess is that the single pole dimmers controlled all of the lights in the room. What the three way switch was for, needs knowledge of the house. It may have controlled an outside light or something else.

Did you ever try locating the other 3 way that works with that switch ?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,868

Changing a single pole switch to a 3 way does not give you the ability to switch the lights from a second location. There is new wiring that needs to be run to the new switch location.
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Changing a single pole switch to a 3 way does not give you the ability to switch the lights from a second location. There is new wiring that needs to be run to the new switch location.
I agree. The only thing a 3-way switch acts as without another 3-way switch is STDP switch.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote