Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #1

Share |

Multi-wire Branch

So this is my bathroom layout. i have a 2 gang switch box that will be fed by a gfi outlet (load side to feed the 2 gang). I want to run a 12-3 from the switch to the fan. The red wire will be used as the "hot" to feed the lights. Then i will use 12-2 to go to the light from the fan. Reason being fed by the gfi is the fan will be above the shower (or close enough to it i want it protected).

would this be to code? i want to minumize the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Multi-wire Branch-wire.jpg  

baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #2

Multi-wire Branch

No problem. Provided the branch circuit coming up from the panel does not also serve lights or receptacles etc. in any other room or bathroom. It may serve lights and receptacles in just that one bathroom or it may serve receptacles only in one or more bathrooms.

Note that this is not technically called a "multiwire branch circuit" since it does not use both sides of (both hot wires from) the 120/240 volt service.

For those eavesdropping, if a multiwire branch circuit fed the whole shebang and a GFI breaker set was not used down at the panel, the multiwire feature must end at the first GFI receptacle. From there separate neutrals must continue on. A neutral from the load side of the GFCI unit goes with the hot from the load side and a different neutral continues on to go with the other hot wire at another GFCI receptacle. These separate neutrals are not tied togetehr if both hot/neutral pairs should come togehter at another outlet box but ground wires are always tied together wherver they come together.

Correction: The multiwire feature can continue past a GFCI receptacle as wiring daisy chained off the line side and therefore not protected by that particular GFCI. In the OP's case the hot (both line-unprotected and load-protected sides) connected to the GFCI for that bathroom may not serve any other room.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-27-2009 at 07:14 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #3

Multi-wire Branch

So can i do with with a gfi outlet and not a gfi breaker?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #4

Multi-wire Branch

Yes you may use a GFI receptacle in that bathroom and continue on from there to your double switch box to do the wiring as you described.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Multi-wire Branch

Allan is correct, but I want to point out that you cannot separately protect the fan and not the light. In other words, you can either GFCI protect both or neither.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #6

Multi-wire Branch

yeah i knew that. in this circuit they both would be protected. Besides if the outlet tripped and there would be no power in the bath is there any other downfall to doing this? is this a common thing to do? I want the "sparky inspector" to only com eout once for a rough-in!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #7

Multi-wire Branch

Also are these types of connectors ok to use instead of wire nuts (will it pass code)?

If not what is the recommended color nut to use for 12 and 14?
Attached Images