Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Multi Wire Branch to 2 outlets in garage

I'm adding two dedicated 120v circuits in my garage to power a refrigerator and freezer. I would like to run a 14-3 wire to my panel, and wire it into two separate outlets for the devices.

From reading this forum, in order to be safe and in code, here's what I'm thinking.

1. Run a double pole breaker so that both circuits would be thrown if there was a problem.
  2. Install two boxes and individual receptacles to avoid any confusion of a double outlet box. I understand this also gets me around the requirement to do GFI in an outdoor garage if each circuit is dedicated to one device.
  3. I will splice the ground wire from the 14-3 using wire nuts to run a ground to each box and receptacle instead of just a wire between the ground screws on each receptacle.
Am I thinking about this correctly ? If I take these steps, I think I'll be code compliant and would not really have any motivation to run two 14-2 wires to the panel from my garage, right ?

mw_bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw_bama View Post
I'm adding two dedicated 120v circuits in my garage to power a refrigerator and freezer. I would like to run a 14-3 wire to my panel, and wire it into two separate outlets for the devices.

From reading this forum, in order to be safe and in code, here's what I'm thinking.

1. Run a double pole breaker so that both circuits would be thrown if there was a problem.
  2. Install two boxes and individual receptacles to avoid any confusion of a double outlet box. I understand this also gets me around the requirement to do GFI in an outdoor garage if each circuit is dedicated to one device.
  3. I will splice the ground wire from the 14-3 using wire nuts to run a ground to each box and receptacle instead of just a wire between the ground screws on each receptacle.
Am I thinking about this correctly ? If I take these steps, I think I'll be code compliant and would not really have any motivation to run two 14-2 wires to the panel from my garage, right ?
1. Yep, that's the way to do it. Double pole 15-amp, if you use 14-3 cable.

2. Perfectly fine, except for the part about not needing GFCI. No dice, if your area is on the 2008 NEC. They took away the exception for dedicated outlets, and now all garage outlets must be GFCI protected and Tamper-Resistant.

3. Correct.

I'd think about running 12-3 on a 20-amp breaker though, if I were you. Also, as far as running two 14-2 cables goes; if this is a detached garage, you can't do that. A detached structure can only have one circuit running to it. This can be a single regular circuit, a MWBC, or a feeder for a sub-panel.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
1. Yep, that's the way to do it. Double pole 15-amp, if you use 14-3 cable.

2. Perfectly fine, except for the part about not needing GFCI. No dice, if your area is on the 2008 NEC. They took away the exception for dedicated outlets, and now all garage outlets must be GFCI protected and Tamper-Resistant.

3. Correct.

I'd think about running 12-3 on a 20-amp breaker though, if I were you. Also, as far as running two 14-2 cables goes; if this is a detached garage, you can't do that. A detached structure can only have one circuit running to it. This can be a single regular circuit, a MWBC, or a feeder for a sub-panel.

Thanks for the reply. This is an attached garage, but it sounds like the MWBC might be the way to go - no real motivation to pull two wires that I can think of.
mw_bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #4

I'd also run 12-3 & install 20a circuits
GFCI required on everything in a garage now
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

Choice of:

1. Install GFCI breaker (that is also a double wide double breaker) at the panel.

2. (no 240 volt usage in garage) Install GFCI receptacle for red and white conductors at first outlet box and continue just the black and white (12-2 cable) to the second outlet box where you install a second GFCI receptacle.

2a. If you want a third receptacle set, run a 12-2 cable to the load terminals of one of the existing GFCI's and do not connect the white to the other whites. This way you will not need a third GFCI.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-03-2010 at 06:39 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote