Multi Sub Panels - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 105

Multi Sub Panels

While redoing our kitchen (1950's house) I ran a lot of new branch circuits and added a few more sub panels. The electrical is a mess (other then what I re-did) due to bonding issues and grounding issues. I need some advice.

Main panel: 200 amp panel (pass through panel) that does supply 2 branch circuit takeoffs for sub panels (these are small branches not connected to the main structure and not an issue yet). There is 3/0, 3/0, 3/0 THHN coming off the pass through lugs. Guess the conduit was supposed to be the ground.

Conduit carrying 3x 3/0 runs on exterior to huge J box where a splice is that leads to the first interior panel- 200 amp sub with neutrals and grounds co mingled. No continuation of conduit to this panel so just 3 x 3/0 copper here.

External conduit continues from splice point to 2nd exterior J box where it is spliced with jacketed 3/0 copper without a ground and this runs up into attic and down a wall into the walk in pantry with the 2nd 200 amp panel that I re-did.

A licensed electrician told me that he considers it as 2 main panels so I should bond the grounds to neutrals at both. I feel from my research that the pass through panel should be the main panel and the 2 sub panels need a ground run to each.

I'm thinking about running the 3/0 x 3 with #6 ground to first panel, splicing it with splice lugs to continue to the 2nd panel. If necessary I can reduce size of neutral to 2/0 or 1/0 if the existing 3/0 won't make home runs and I have to purchase new copper.

I'm in an unincorporated area without any inspectors and really would like some input. I'll probably use an electrician as pulling these won't be a one man job but I know I'll need to be informed as much as possible to avoid putting it into yet another dangerous situation.

Thanks !!

Advertisement

Daltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Multi Sub Panels

The main panel (as you call it) is on the outside of the house?

It doesn't sound like there is a disconnect in it. The neutral/ground bond is always at the first means of disconnect.

Advertisement

Joconfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Sparky

Rewards Points: 504

Multi Sub Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
No continuation of conduit to this panel so just 3 x 3/0 copper here.

is this flying THHN/THWN or a SE type cable assembly

Pictures if possible would be a large help
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 105

Multi Sub Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joconfire View Post
The main panel (as you call it) is on the outside of the house?

It doesn't sound like there is a disconnect in it. The neutral/ground bond is always at the first means of disconnect.
Yes the main panel is outside the house. It has a disconnect (200 amp breaker).

I agree with you regarding "The neutral/ground bond is always at the first means of disconnect" and that is why I redid the panel I used for the kitchen remodel and also subs past that. I did have to bond grounds to neutrals in the sub panel because there is no seperate ground run but I did put neutrals on one buss bar and grounds on seperate. Once a ground is run I can seperate the 2 via removal of the bonding bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy View Post
is this flying THHN/THWN or a SE type cable assembly
Pictures if possible would be a large help
I think it could be some type of SE cable going to the first sub panel. It has 2 conductors wrapped by a copper mesh with pvc coating. Kinda like a coax cable.

I'll see if I can get some pics to post. Won't be there until this coming weekend though.

Last edited by Daltex; 09-18-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Daltex is offline   Reply With Quote