Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Rze
Average Joe

Share |

Multi ended extension cord

I DJ part time and have lights that I use. I have to run a separate extension cord for each light. What I am wondering is whether there is such a thing as a cord that has 3 or more receptacles on one end with corresponding plugs on the other end, however runs as a single cable. In other word, some sort of power "Snake".

Thanks!

Dave

Rze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rze View Post
I DJ part time and have lights that I use. I have to run a separate extension cord for each light. What I am wondering is whether there is such a thing as a cord that has 3 or more receptacles on one end with corresponding plugs on the other end, however runs as a single cable. In other word, some sort of power "Snake".

Thanks!

Dave
Can you just run (wrap) some electrical tape around the outside the the cords to hold them together? Given a bit of time and a few rolls of electrical tape, you could tape together several cords.

If I had this need, I might make a special multi ended cord with pvc flex conduit, but this likely involves more work than you want to do.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Rze
Average Joe

I thought about making one but was looking for a 50' cord. That would be a lot of tape...still not out of teh question....HMMMMM flex PVX.....
Old 09-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

never seen one.

what I would do:

two junction boxes. One for each end. run 7 conductor SJOW cord between the boxes. Install 3 whips with male plugs at the end to be plugged in with each whip attached to 2 of the 7 conductors. At the other end, install 3 duplex receptacles with each one tied to two of the conductors in the SJOW cord. The odd conductor is to be used as an equipment grounding conductor (ground).

Just be sure to keep the conductors used as neutrals id'd so they are really used as neutrals.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

This question was asked on here a while ago, though I don't remember if a solution was ever found. I have some 4 channel dimmer packs that I use when I do any sort of DJ'ing event, works great with the USB DMX adaptor on my laptop. Though this solution might be a little more expensive than you are looking for.

Last edited by theatretch85; 09-21-2008 at 10:37 PM.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
Rze
Average Joe

The only problem I have with the dimmer packs and PC interface is that I don't solve my original problem which is not wanted to run three seperate cords to three separarte lighting fixtures.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

With the dimmer packs, all I run to each "pole" is a power cord for the dimmer, and a DMX cable. In my case, the DMX cable is a simple 3 pin XLR cable. The lights would plug into their own channel on the dimmer right at the pole, meaning you would only have one AC cable to each pole. The first dimmer would have 3 cables connected to it, DMX in, DMX out and power; the last pole would just have DMX in and power.

I have actually seen cables that have the power and XLR in one cable, and I have seen them with power and 2 xlr cables (in and out) that would make your runs very simple. One cable to each pole which provides all the nessecary cables for that run. I assume you would likely have both cables coming back to the same location for power, and you would simply plug the main DMX cable in to the "In" on cable 1, the "out" on cable 1 to the "in" on cable 2.

Hope this makes sense. If you are interested in this solution let me know and I will get you some more information.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote