Moving A Wall Light To The Ceiling With Minimal "attic" Access. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moving a wall light to the ceiling with minimal "attic" access.

We have a 50+ year old ranch style single story house with a very low pitch to the roof. We want to move an old oddly placed wall light fixture above the sink to the ceiling above the sink. The fixture is currently installed in an exterior wall.

I tried to go into the attic and just pull the the wire up through the wall, but it is extremely tight. The wiring is basically in the shortest edge of our attic space. I could reach the wire going into the wall, but I was still at least a foot away from the hole it descends into , and it is undoubtedly nailed down.

Even if I were to get the wire out it would be quite a feet to get it into the new hole which is only about 6-7 inches closer than the old hole.

I need to hop a single joist, there is crown moulding that will be exteremely difficult to move because of the cabinets, and the ceiling is textured. The current fixture location is low on the wall and off center.

Any suggestions for diy? Do you think a pro could do this without ripping the wall/ceiling out?

Thanks
tomatolater

Advertisement

tomatolater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Can you take a pic of the work area your working? You may need to consult a electrician- but perhaps, he/she just may have to do alil modifying to being the existing wire is in the exterior(gable in) of the house. There's other options you can take to get the job done.. with minimum damage.

a picture(pic) will help thou!

Advertisement

JuzRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
TTW

Rewards Points: 250

You will not be able to ask a question in this forum, it's for pros only, but this thread should be very informative for you.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/in...-damage-46639/
TTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick responses.

Here is a picture of the kitchen wall/ceiling. You can see the wire haning out and if you look closely there is a hole drilled into the ceiling where I want to move the light.

Currently the wire is coming down the wall just to the right of a stud.

TTW, am I to understand from the link that you sent that an electrician would have tools to move the wire from a distance? Any idea if said tools are expensive or hard to use? I'm willing to call a pro if I need to, but if I can pick up the right tool for the job at Lowes for less than it would cost to hire someone that is always my preference.

I do have some access from a distance up top if I cram my head between joists and roofing nails.

Thanks
tomatolater
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a wall light to the ceiling with minimal "attic" access.-img_0493-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,370

Cut the cable at top of the wall. Install an old work box at the new location and route the cable to the box.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
TTW

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Cut the cable at top of the wall. Install an old work box at the new location and route the cable to the box.
I agree, this is your easiest option as I believe you can get at the wire in the attic.

Yes there are long flexible drillbits, extensions, and all sorts of fish tools, but they're not real cheap. Mostly the other thread was discussing situations where there is no power there at all, I just thought it might give you some ideas.
TTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #7

It does seem like I should be able to get to the wire in the attic, but I can only get my hand to ~1 foot from the top of the wall. To get that close I've got my hips on a 2x12 I laid across the bottom chords of the trusses and I'm holding my arms and most of my upper body up inside the space between the bottom chords of the trusses. I'm 99.9% sure I can't get any closer and I'm a relatively slim woman. Our roof is exceptionally low pitched.

This also leaves my fingers about 6-7 inches away from the insulation covered hole I'm trying to put a box in at and feed the wires through.

So in summary the things I can't reach...

The wire at the top of the wall (~12inches short)
The new installation spot where I need to put in a box and thread the wire (~6-7 inches short)

Any suggestions that don't involve having arms of super human length?

Thanks
tomatolater
Old 11-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,474

If there is anyplace that you can reach that wire, you can cut it at that point. Install a handy box as a splice box. Splice enough new romex to it to reach the new location and hang down through the new location about 1-2 feet. Run the romex over to a point near the new location. (install blank cover on splice box)

From below, cut a hole for the old work (remodel) box. Reach up thru the hole and pull the romex down and install into the remodel Box, then install the box in the ceiling.

Attach wires to fixture and install fixture.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
rjniles (11-25-2012), TTW (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

That should work....it won't be fun, but I think it will work. Thanks so much!!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

You are going to have to install a box in the ceiling anyway, so yoou should cut the hole for the box, and reach up to the wire.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I am with Jbfan.,

Just cut a hole for old work box and you can able grab the wire and go from there.

Do not cut the exsting NM cable yet until you read the rest of my short details below.,

However before you start cutting a hole in the ceiling check the NM cable on the wall to see which way it goes if go horztonal you may be out of luck but going up vertical then you should get better odds of catching that one.

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #12

I'm not sure why I didn't think to cut the hole for the box first. (What can I say, toddlers fried my brains.) That definitely solves my problem of threading the wire. Hitting a tiny hole from a distance in a sea of insulation is tough, but a hole the size of an old work box is no problem.

The wire does run vertically. In fact I can barely grab the wire as it goes to the top of the wall in the attic. I tried giving it a tug on the off chance the wiring was as shoddy as the rest of the original construction on our house, but it seems to be anchored down quite well.

I'm thinking I'll just have to cut it and put in a junction box where I can touch it in the attic. Bummer, but it will get the job done.

Thanks
tomatolater

Advertisement