Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #1

Share |

Moving several circuits to sub panel

I'll be installing a sub panel approximately 3 feet away from my main panel to accommodate extra circuits for my work shop. In addition, I want to move a few circuits from the main panel to the sub panel so I can free up some slots for a feeder breaker (main panel is maxed out).

It looks like the easiest way for me to do this is to mount a large junction box (of appropriate fill capacity) immediately adjacent to my main service panel and connect the two together with a large nipple (sized appropriately according to Chapter 9). I would then run an appropriate sized conduit from the junction box to my sub panel. I could then simply disconnect the circuit wires I want to move from their breakers in the main panel and run them into the junction box through the nipple. Within the junction box, I can wire nut them to wires that will run to the sub panel. I can also route my feed wires from the main panel, through the junction box and conduit to the sub panel. Does this sound acceptable?

I see in 312.8 that I can use overcurrent device enclosures as a raceway provided there is adequate space (40% / 75% fill as defined).

WoodworkerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #2

I just have a quick additional question. If I move the circuits as discussed above to the sub panel, do I have to move the equipment grounding conductors (the bare wires) of these circuits to the sub panel as well or can I leave them connected to the ground bus bar of the main service panel?

Last edited by WoodworkerDave; 09-27-2008 at 01:37 PM.
WoodworkerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

All wires that are being placed in the Sub-Panel needs to be connected in that Feeder Panel. The only wires going back into the main Breaker panel, is the 3 wires to interconnect the two.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote