DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   "Moving" service entrance (

WillK 09-29-2010 12:36 PM

"Moving" service entrance
Okay, so as I was saying in the last post, I'm planning to upgrade to 200 amp service for the house as part of the rewiring of my 1917 house, including a 100 amp sub-panel for the garage. I'm sorting out details so I can intelligently submit my permit application.

For all intents, basicly what I'm doing is going to amount to being the same as wiring a new house apparently. The new 200 amp panel is going to be in a different location, and once everything is wired together without any power I'd have the electric company come out to disconnect the old service and connect the new service along with whatever work or parts they're responsible for. They provide the overhead wire and meter according to their web site:

So until I did my reading around, I was under the impression my responsibility ended at the end of the cable that comes out of the house from the service panel... Based on the link above, I'm gathering I need to provide the box into which the meter is mounted, there will be a cable clamp similar to what I'd have going into the circuit breaker box, I'll have to put in a pipe riser and mount it to my outside wall and put a service cap on top...

From reading Michigan electric code, which is 2005 NEC, I'm gathering basicly that I need to run the pipe up so that the service cap is at least 10' above grade. The overhead wire runs towards the back of the lot, so it is not going over the house roof and is not over the driveway, and the new location I want to use is on the back of a brick utility room addition on a slap, the roof elevation is about 8-9' above grade and there is no overhang so I have no roof penetration to deal with. (The old location was on the rear wall of the 1.5 story main building of the house, so the hook attached directly to the house)

Am I also responsible for a wire that would be running through the pipe riser from the service cap to the meter, or is that something that the power company does and the cap is just basicly sealing the inside of the pipe from the weather? That is something that is unclear.

Is there a particular size and tipe of pipe I need to use for the riser for 200A cable? I'm assuming it's heavier wire for aluminum and if I use that I'm fine for copper since too big on conduit is okay while too small is not okay.

Anything else I missed or am misunderstanding?

It's nice to be able to work on my house without having to live in it, but it'll also be nice to get this done so we CAN live in it and get out of my parent's house!

HIVOLT 09-29-2010 12:45 PM

You are responsible for everthing fron the weatherhead on to include the wire in the riser. The power company is responsible for the drop from the pole and the meter. As for the size of the riser conduit, 2" PVC is ok to use.

DangerMouse 09-29-2010 12:49 PM

2" GRAY pvc for elec. yup.
(gotta be the right stuff and the correct glue and primer)


WillK 09-29-2010 12:52 PM

Okay, so just regular 2" schedule 40 gray electrical pvc conduit is okay?

How much wire length needs to be sticking out at each end of the riser and would it be best practice to run individual conductors through there instead of a cable?

HIVOLT 09-29-2010 01:04 PM

schedule 40 is correct and leave approx 3' for the power co. to attach and make the drip loop

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1