Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

Moving a plug with lots of wires attached.

I wanted to move an outlet in my bathroom so I can install a linen closet.

Turns out there are three sets of wires going into the box. From testing I have discovered that there are four outlets on this one circuit: 1 in garage (GFCI), two in bathrooms, and one outdoors on the back wall of my house.

Presumably, if the original electrician did it correctly, the circuit first goes to the GFCI in the garage. I then conclude that the three sets of wires connected to this outlet in the bathroom are:

(1) one coming from the garage GFCI

(2) one going to the outlet in the other bathroom and

(3) one going to the outlet outdoors.

I don't want to have to move all these sets of wires to the new outlet location. It seems klugey at best (and perhaps contrary to code) to just wirenut everything together at the existing junction box, including a new set of wires going to the new outlet location, but I'm not sure what the "best" alternative is.

By "best" I mean, not only up to code, but unlikely to infuriate future electricians....

Last edited by mistercellaneou; 07-29-2012 at 05:22 PM.
mistercellaneou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

If you leave it as is, it is "Grandfathered in". Make changes to it, by moving the outlet, now you have to also bring it up to current standards. Especially if you remodel the bath with a full gut. If it was me, I would make the outdoor & garage one circuit, the two baths, depending on how both are used, either keep as one circuit, or split into two circuits, with each bath on its own dedicated 20 amp circuit. Again, depending on how much both baths get used at the same time, with people using blow dryers or curling irons in both of them, at the same time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Well unless you refeed everything best case scenario is either to move the wires to the new location or just do joints and blank plate it.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Thank you both for your help. Gregzoll, your first sentence is compelling. Who needs a linen closet in the bathroom, anyway? And then I don't have to move the plumbing, either....

But I would like some clarification of the lingo, here. Andrew, when you say "just do joints and blank plate it," I assume you mean connect the wires together at the existing junction box and put a blank plate over it? Would that be code compliant, providing I don't overcrowd the box? (I would probably need a bigger box....)
mistercellaneou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercellaneou View Post
Thank you both for your help. Gregzoll, your first sentence is compelling. Who needs a linen closet in the bathroom, anyway? And then I don't have to move the plumbing, either....

But I would like some clarification of the lingo, here. Andrew, when you say "just do joints and blank plate it," I assume you mean connect the wires together at the existing junction box and put a blank plate over it? Would that be code compliant, providing I don't overcrowd the box? (I would probably need a bigger box....)
yup that would be code compliant as long as you don't exceed box fill. what size is the box? Someone else will have to answer if your ok on it or not, the rules on box fill are different here than where you are.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

You can leave it in the linen closet, just has to have a blank cover over the junction box. Passes code, as long as you do not cover it over with gypsum/wallboard or a panel for a closet assembly unit. You would be surprised were junction boxes are placed, so that they are not out front on the wall, but at times it is easier to just leave on the wall and place a cover over it that is either painted the wall color, or left the color of the plate.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Sometimes you have to do, what you have to do. You can place the junction box in the linen closet. It is just that you can not hide it behind the Gypsum/wallboard, or a closet assembly unit without having access to the cover plate. As for leaving it out in the open, sometimes you have to do it. That means if it is a single gang box, you make it a double ganged, and us a cover that is half blanked half light switch decora, etc.

Also if you have to leave the cover plate out in the open, you do it, but either paint it the wall color, or leave the color of the blank.