Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

moving mistake

We are re-arranging our laundry room and needed to move the dryer plug down the wall about 2 feet. This was easily accomplished, as the back of the wall is in the crawl space and I could see that there was enough slack in the wire. We turned off the power, removed the wires from the receptacle, removed the receptacle from the plastic mounting box it was in, cut a new hole a couple feet down, re-installed the plastic mounting box, re-inserted the wires into the plastic box and realized our mistake. When disconnecting the wires, we forgot to look at what goes where when we re-connect. We have red, black, bare copper and white (which had a plastic wire cap on it when we opened the box initially). I am going to assume that the white is the neutral and should remain capped. I am left with 3 wires and 3 holes to put them in, but I don't know what goes where. I have spent close to 2 hours searching the internet for a diagram of this and can't find one that looks like our receptacle. HELP!!!

This might be relevant, too.....When we got the dryer (used) it had a plug different from the one in our wall (wall had 4 prongs). We purchased a 3-prong and when we went to install it, found that the 3-prong for dryers also didn't match. The guy at the hardware store said that the plug on the back of the dryer was typically for a range, not a dryer, but wouldn't make a difference because they had the same voltage/amps. Thanks!

neva314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

moving mistake

If your cable do have 4 conductor like black , red , white and bare conductor it must use all 4 conductor per NEC code and when you move it to diffrent location it will automatically update to new codes { you can not use grandfather clause due you move to new location }

Let me post couple photos so you can see where this goes

That above is 4 wire verison dryer recetpale now next photo is for stove

This is a 4 wire 50 amp receptale that is differnt than dryer.

The dryer must use 30 amp fuse or breaker with 6.0mm˛ { #10 AWG } conductors.

By the way the bare conductor is NOT a current carry conductor it only used for fault situation that it so you have netural { white conductor } so use it for netural.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
No Hacks Allowed!

Rewards Points: 25

moving mistake

Be careful prowling around inside your load center breaker panel!

Be sure to verify that the capped white (neutral) dryer conductor is actually connected to the neutral bar in the breaker panel.

Click on the links below for wiring info:

Wiring a Dryer and Power Cord (Option 1)

Wiring a Dryer with a 4-Wire Power Cord (Page 12)

Wiring a Dryer with a 4-Wire Power Cord (Page 11)

Good luck!
NoHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
No Hacks Allowed!

Rewards Points: 25

moving mistake

Be sure to follow the 4-wire power cord wiring instructions carefully where it explicitly denotes that you must remove the Bonding Jumper / Ground Strap that goes between the neutral terminal on the back of the dryer and the dryer frame ground screw.

The white neutral wire on the power cord connects to the neutral terminal on the terminal block. The green ground wire on the power cord connects to the dryer frame ground screw. The green ground wire must NOT be connected to the neutral terminal at any time when using a 4-wire power cord.

Good luck!
NoHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,176

moving mistake

A typical range uses a 40 or 50 amp 240 circuit. Dryers are 30 amp at 240. The cords should not be interchangeable.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,478

moving mistake

Terminals marked X & Y are the hots(red and black) It doesn't matter which goes where. Green is ground and N is White.

Tags
dryer outlet, relocating