Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |

Moving a junction box?

I need to move this junction box to the right about 30 inches to center it above a new vanity. The current location of the junction box would hide it behind a new linen tower. I would get an electrician to do it but, the town I live in doesn't have any electricians.

I know the grey wire on the right is running to another junctin box which is powering to outlets because i have enough of the wall open to actuallly see the connections. I assume one grey wire on the left is going to the switch and the other is from the power source but, i could have my head up my arse too. What do I need to do?

FYI, the picture is rotated 180 degrees due to technical difficulties.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a junction box?-image.jpg  

Last edited by wwkayaker; 10-21-2012 at 07:23 PM.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Moving a junction box?

Leave it where it is, and cut out an access hole in the back of the linen cabinet. Use an oversized cover and hide it behind a bunch of towels.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

Moving a junction box?

A second try at showing the setup of the job.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

Moving a junction box?

So, just leave it and run an extension wire to a new box to which I mount the light? If I understand you, I like that idea.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

Moving a junction box?

I just checked my measurements and the linen cabinet is 84" high and the junction box is positioned at approximately 85" in its centre. So, I would have half of the junction box behind a cabinet and half exposed. Back to moving it. How do I move it?

To the left of the box, in the adjacent wall, is the switch and an outlet combo. Would i be correct in thinking that the two grey wires entering the left side of the box are coming from the switch and from the outlet? If so, I think I could fish wires through to extend the box further into the wall where I need it to be.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Moving a junction box?

Move it up a couple of inches ... then install a blank plate over it. Above that cabinet you're not likely to even notice it ...

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

Moving a junction box?

You can move it anywhere the existing wires will allow it to go.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Moving a junction box?

From what I see, you cannot run new wiring from this box to a new location. This appears to be ungrounded wiring and you cannot extend an ungrounded circuit.

You can still move the box and blank it off, but you will need to get a ground to the new location. Your problem will be that the switch will most likely not have a ground either. You may be forced to run a new cable (with ground) to the switch box, then to the location of the new fixture box.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Moving a junction box?

k_buz,

I am pretty certain it is grounded but, I am not an electrician obviously. I moved some of the wires and took a new picture. There is a bare wire screwed to the back of the box in the bottom left (actually the top right but the pic is rotated.)
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a junction box?-image.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Moving a junction box?

Yes, I see it now. The majority of the cloth covered romex I encounter is ungrounded. You should be good to go and extend the wiring to the new location.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #11

Moving a junction box?

I know you want to move the box, but it would be much simpler for you to just run new wires from the box and leave it where it is. You can put a decorative plate over it and paint it to match the room. It's a very common practice. And it's very unlikely you will see it anyway unless your line of sight is at the top of the cabinet. Paint it, put a decorative item on top of the cabinet and forget it. (at least that is what I would do)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #12

Moving a junction box?

Thanks for the help, folks. After looking closer, it appears that the box is simply screwed to a brace between two studs. So, I am hoping, when I remove some drywall, there will be enough slack in the grey wires to allow me to move the box.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #13

Moving a junction box?

Missouri Bound, I am going to take the advice I was given and try to adjust the box so that it is above the cabinet. I can then do you like you say and paint the cover and throw a basket or something up there and be done. I have had to get creative with other issues the previous home owners created and it is nice to have a simple fix.

Thank you.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
Licensed Electrician

Moving a junction box?

ooooh, this is up in Canada. There are some different rules for bathrooms compared to the US of A. Hopefully someone can help you out specifically with the CEC.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #15

Moving a junction box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Missouri Bound, I am going to take the advice I was given and try to adjust the box so that it is above the cabinet. I can then do you like you say and paint the cover and throw a basket or something up there and be done. I have had to get creative with other issues the previous home owners created and it is nice to have a simple fix.

Thank you.
I think you will be happy with the results. It's funny that you will probably look for it for a few days or even weeks....then all of a sudden it will be out of sight and out of mind. Best of luck to you.