DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Moving a Fridge, is a dedicated circuit required...or not?

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  darren 
#1 ·
Ok, so after reading and reading and reading these forums, and other sites, I still don't know what to do, and I am pretty sure I am opening up a can of worms here...but lets see....

We want to move our fridge from the wall it is currently on to another wall that is more convenient to the flow of the kitchen. Can we? Is a dedicated circuit really required? Why is it recommended? Why is it not required?

Can we do it? What should I test?

Thanks!!

#2 ·
See that all depends on the fridge that you have. If you have say a huge subzero than yes it is needed. But if you have a typical fridge than its not really needed. It all really depends upon how many amps the fridge draws and what is on the circuit your pluging into. But since your in the kitchen you most likely have 20 amp circuits depending on how hold your house is. So in my opinion if its just a typical fridge you can move it without running a dedicated feed.

#7 ·
:thumbsup:
Agree 100%.

A refer is NOT considered a continuous load, so as long as it is less than 20A on a 20A circuit it is fine. This is not to say that is the best way to go though.

In practice most of us do provide a dedicated circuit for a refer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.