Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #1

Share |
Question

moving an electrical outlet

hello,

i want to move an outlet from under the kitchen sink counter to above the sink top. i plan on using the old outlet workbox as a junction box to attach new romex to run up inside the wall to above the sink counter top about 2 1/2 ft from the right side of the sink. is this ok? i know i need to install a gfci outlet for this, but have two other questions. im going to use 2 wire 12ga romex, i beleive this is correct, right? the romex i was looking at has yellow insulation, the romex in the house is white, does this make a diff? i would think not, but not sure.

thank you,
bob
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Bob,
Your above-counter receptacle circuit in the kitchen should be either on a GFCI breaker at the panel (expensive) OR the first receptacle in the circuit should be GFCI (far less expensive), which will make all receptacles past it in the same circuit GFCI-protected.
The circuit should have 12/2 (black and white) plus bare ground wire on a 20 amp single-pole breaker with the black wire connected to the breaker, the white to the neutral buss and the ground to the ground buss in the panel.
A receptacle under the counter (such as for a disposal) does not have to be GFCI, but all above the counter should be GFCI-protected. (A dishwasher, microwave and refrigerator should have dedicated circuits, but often don't.)
Rather then do away with the under-counter receptacle, if you like, you can just wire off of that receptacle to the new one, and connect the black wires (hot) to the brass screws, the white to the silver screws (neutral), and the bare wire (ground) to the green screw on the receptacles (use a pigtail with wire nut with one bare wire on the green screw). If it is a metal box, also connect a bare wire from the pigtail to the green ground screw on the box.
If you elect to convert the under-counter box to a j-box, use a solid cover over it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 05-20-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen
Bob,
Rather then do away with the under-counter receptacle, if you like, you can just wire off of that receptacle to the new one
mike, thank you for ur help. im going to remove the outlet under the kitchen counter because when someone installed the the counter top and cabinets under it, the outlet was left in the wall, and the cabinets installed over it, so it is actually on the wall inside one of the cabinets, not much use. i should have mentioned that, sorry. what i meant by the romex being yellow, is the insulation over the white, black, and ground wires. why is it yellow, and other romex is black, white, brown, etc...?

bob
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

New manufacturing standards. It makes it eaiser for the inspector to see what size wire you have in place now. White is 14, yellow is 12, orange is 10. This has only been in effect for a couple of years, so you have to read the outer jacket to see what size wire you have now.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

That under-counter outlet may have been installed for a dishwasher or disposal at some point. The box should never be covered up in a wall or by a cabinet back, and has to have a solid cover for future access.
(When I built my house, I didn't have any 14 installed. It is all 12 or larger, even for 15 amp lighting circuits.)
The new color coding, as jbfan said, is for ease of working with and inspecting wiring. Always read the type and size on the cable to be certain. The critical thing is to always meet or exceed electrical code. You can't use 14 on a 20 amp breaker for instance.
If non-code wiring causes a house fire, your homeowner's insurance may not pay off a claim for one thing. Non-code wiring won't pass a General Home Inspection for another if you ever try to sell the home.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote