Moving Electric Range Plug - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moving Electric Range Plug

Hey - I'm new here and have a question about an electric range plug. We have an old JenAire electric range in the kitchen now. This range has an exhaust fan mounted to the floor under the range and the 240 volt plug for the range is also in the floor (near the right rear corner of the range).

We just purchased a new GE range with a double oven. I know I'm going to have to remove the exhaust unit from the floor. The overhead hood exhausts through the same vent, so I'm going to have to patch the hole from the JenAire unit (any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated).

I'm also worried about the plug location. There is plenty of room under the old range, but with the new range being a double oven, I'm worried that there isn't going to be enough room to use the 240 volt plug in the floor. I'm also a little worried about the heat even if there is.

Anyone know if there is enough clearance under the newer double oven ranges to use a plug in the floor? If not, how would I move the plug from the floor to the wall behind the range? I looked and the literature I found inline recommends putting the plug near the floor by the back left hand corner of the new range.

Advertisement

dmartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,208

I would certainly be inclined to locate the electrical as described in the appliance literature.

Advertisement

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Phil

Rewards Points: 75

Download the installation manual for the double oven and see what it specifies. There is also the matter of the local building code which you can confirm with a phone call to the local department.

Easiest to do a new run from the subpanel to the new location for the plug. I would not trust that the old wiring is something I want to continue to use, especially as your double oven is going to draw more than the old Jennaire did. The installation manual will provide the specs for the wire gauge that should be used and your can run it to the new outlet box.

The hole in the floor I would patch from below with a piece of plywood and on top with sheetmetal. If you want to be fancy you could put the patch on the bottom and fill in with thinset and use commercial grade floor tile but it depends upon whether the location is going to be visible or not.
Phillysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,818

The manufacturer will tell you where the receptacle can be located. There is little excess space under the unit. You will also need to see what the amperage requirements are versus what is already there. If it does not match you will need a new cable back to the panel.