Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

moving antenna

Hi,
I need to move TV antenna outlet from one corner of the room to another having patio door in the middle from top to the floor, do not want to run any cables there, so thinking to splice to tv cable from outside and run it from there.
Can I just use simple splitter to connect to main cable, I need about 20 feet extension.

Tx
Dai

dainova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

moving antenna

Are you talking about the electric receptacle or the CATV cables. If it is the CATV cables, do whatever you want. And yes, a splitter allows for one source of cable/sat to be run to several locations. I really did not understand your question, sorry.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 296

moving antenna

Yeah, I didn't really understand either. It depends if you have a new system or old. If you're talking about a roof TV antenna like the ones that have been around for 100 years you can splice into a cable line, add a splitter, and add more cable. However, often it requires 2 tools. One tool will cut & strip the coax cable, the other tool crimps the connector. If the splitter will be outside, you need an outdoor splitter and waterproof connectors, you don't usually find the waterproof ones at your local Radioshack. Probably about $40-$45 for tools & parts.

If this is for satellite or a newly installed system then you may get into trouble. The cable would be quad shielded if satellite or the person who installed it recently for your antenna may have used quad-shield. That being the case you have to get quad-shield strippers, connectors, and such and if it for satellite the parts have to be 2GHz compatible (blue) or have the DirectTV stamp you can't use regular stuff for satellite.

Last edited by Piedmont; 06-02-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

moving antenna

Tx, all
It's just simple coaxile antenna for TV, I thoght it may require some amp if you split it.

Tx again
dai
dainova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

moving antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dainova View Post
I thoght it may require some amp if you split it.
No amp required; just buy a $2 splitter (if you're actually splitting it) or a $1 M-M splice block.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #6

moving antenna

In some cases of long runs of CATV cabling, amplifiers may be needed. I needed one in my living room as the satelite is about 100" away. I was told to install it at the TV, which I did and the picture is as good as the others in the house.
I am curious as to why it goes at the end of the cable run and not at the start of the cable run. I would have thought it would be opposite. Anyone know why?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

moving antenna

Splitters will introduce a dB (decibel) loss. The type of splitter will determine the line loss. In Australia, the respective losses for 2 way, 3 way & 4 way splitters using 75 Ohms is 4dB, 8dB & 12dB. Most TV sets require between 60 dB to 80dB to deliver a good picture. Any signal above or below these figures usually results in snow (weak signal) or a herring bone pattern (signal too strong).

If you are already getting clean & clear TV reception, try a 2 way splitter. The only thing is that you had better have the skills to connect the coaxial cables correctly to these things. This usually requires practice although you might get lucky. A good connection will last for years...a poor connection will have a comparatively short life span.

If in doubt, hire an antenna installer. He will have the expensive equipment (AU$2000 minimum), which will allow him/her to be able to do a proper job.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

moving antenna

All that you really need, is a Barrel connector (Male to Male F Connector), and a length of RG-59 coax. Total cost can be had for under $15.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #9

moving antenna

Elk, thanks for the info on the splitters. I think I know what is wrong in the grandkids room now. I have a DB switch in that room, so they can watch from either satelite box. In one position the picture looks pretty good, but in the opposite position the picture is degraded. I have a four way splitter on one of these cables that enters this room. I have a feeling the splitter may be my problem?
Another one Elk?
Is there any issue with coiling up coaxial cable. I have some of it rolled up behind a few TV's. Should I cut it to length. I always leave it long so I can move it if needed.......Thanks John
Old 06-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Once fried, twice shy.

moving antenna

If the coil of coax is a few metres long, don't worry about it. But remember, the longer the coax...the greater the losses. I don't think I'd worry about it in your case. If the coil is not too tight (diameter greater than 300mm), relax. Adding another splitter into the line will obviously introduce more losses.

Balancing a TV distribution system is not difficult but generally it takes some understanding of the signal strength of each station. For example, if one station comes in at 110dB & the rest come in at between 60dB & 80dB, an attenuator will be needed for that one strong station (frequency).

Anyway, if you have problems, post again. The easiest is to hire somebody who knows about TV antennas...preferably in your area.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #11

moving antenna

If your cable connections are outside, be sure to use weatherproof couplings (with a rubber boot). Having water get into the connection will ruin your reception.

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #12

moving antenna

I have one block outside under the roof eve. I checked this and replaced the block with a new one. I also replaced the connectors. I did not know about the rubber boots. The block does not get wet, but it is in a wet location.
I have so many cables, connectors, couplings and splitters on my basement ceiling. I guess I need to take a few hours and go through it all and remove any device I don't need. Check all connections. I may need an amplifier in one section as three TV's are on one satelite box?.......Thanks