Moving 200 Amp Service To Build Garage - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Moving 200 amp service to build garage

I am planning to build a 12 foot wide garage on the end of my home. My service is overhead at the end of the house were i want to add the garage. I want to change over to a underground service and move the service meter box to the out side and breaker box in side the garage. I know how to do the underground service. My current breaker box location will become a door. I wanted to build the garage first then move the electrical which would been the best way. However I can not buid the roof of the garage because of the over head electric wires.Could sure use some help with this. Thanks


ronnie thacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor
wirenut1110's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chester, VA.
Posts: 1,054
Rewards Points: 510
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Your POCO will be responsible for relocating your OH drop.

Since you want to change to underground, you should consult with them and they can tell you what you need to do.

To avoid extended power interruption, you could build a pedestal with a new meter base and a 200 amp outdoor panel with feed through lugs(if you have a 200 amp service) close to where it will be when you're finished, feed your existing panel from the new outdoor "disconnect", put a jumper in from old to new meter base, change your grounding electrode system to new outdoor panel, have it inspected, POCO will hook new underground to new meter base.

Once your new service is done, you could install a new panel in your garage (main lug at this point), run all new wiring to the point where you plan to join the existing circuits so, when you cut the power again, all you'll need to do is make joints to power the existing circuits.

If your existing panel is not that old, get the same brand panel where you can re-use the breakers.


wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Licensed electrician
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,869
Rewards Points: 1,892

Can you move the doorway instead of the panel? It would save a lot of work moving or splicing all the cables.
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Port For This Useful Post:
J. V. (08-17-2013), wirenut1110 (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,796
Rewards Points: 252

Don't move the old panel if possible. Use it as a giant junction box.
Then just build the new service on the opposite wall as you intend.

If you remove the existing panel, you will have to install boxes or re-run the branch circuits.
Jim is telling you the same thing above.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100 / 200 amp service to garage Yooper1 Electrical 2 08-08-2013 08:31 PM
New service line in garage... Dennis1188 Electrical 2 10-21-2010 01:34 PM
Temporary service to garage bushmoose Electrical 0 10-17-2010 03:02 PM
how to build a "wall" to fix gap in garage floor monkees67 Building & Construction 6 09-21-2010 08:10 PM
Electrial service to my new garage econoline Electrical 8 11-22-2007 09:48 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1