Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

Mounting a subpanel to concrete block

I am planning to install a 100A subpanel right next to my existing 100A panel in the basement, since the main panel is full. Eventually I may upgrade the service & main panel to 200A, but I am nowhere near needing that right now. I want to add additional breaker slots so I can separate certain outlets in the house to their own circuits (microwave, window a/c, etc).

Do I just screw a piece of 3/4" plywood or OSB to the block with some tapcons, then screw the panel into it? Or is it better to screw in a couple of 2x's to the wall first, then put the panel on top of them, leaving room to run wires vertically behind the panel?

Thanks.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

You could just use some tapcons and mount it right to the wall.

moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

How is the other one mounted.
I try to stay the same as the exsisting.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

My 200a panel has a piece of 4x8 plywood behind it
On this I mounted a 100a sub, network wiring, phone wiring & timers/wiring/blank face GFCI for my outside outlets for my Holiday displays
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

When I built my lake home in northern Minnesota, the electrical contractor ran from the meter (fed underground)post underground and into my masonry garage/home. All homes there have buried service to reduce the utility maintenance costs. He mounted a 4'x4' 3/4" plywood panel on 2x2 s. I asked why and the answer was that is how they always do it because you never know what will be needed. I can't imagine the need to get behind the panel, but there might a need. They installed a 200 amp service and also mounted a 20 amp GFCI protected outlet plus a 220 outlet for heavier stuff in the garage.

When the inspector can, he lokked at the installation and told me who the contractor was and never bothered to pull the cover, but approved it.

When he got inside and I told him I did the wiring he became more critical and immediately zeroed in on my wood burning fireplace insert that was built is, The back was accessible and he looked at the wiring for the 3 speed fans(2) and the thermostat, but he found it in conduit and I had run THHN color coded wiring. when he saw that he looked elsewhere. All of the interior wiring was in conduit and he pulled a couple of cover plates and found everything done right including the loop or hook direction on the outlets and switches. He stopped and approved everything. I did not have the heart to tell him that my 12 year old son cut and pulled the wires in the conduits after a short explanation and made all the hook-ups.

I used conduit since I had no idea when I would insulate and finish the interior walls(block), so conduit allowed an early approval since it was protected. After 2 years, I decided I did not need additional insulation and just put up dry wall on 2x2 over the 8" lightweight block walls since my furnace never kicked on until late December despite a couple of below zero spells.

The bottom line on the electrical is that if you do it right from the start, the inspector is in a good frame of mind and does not do the nit-picking, plus any additions and revisions are easier to do.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote