Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

mounting a light from ac outlet box trouble

ok so i thought i was golden. i wanted to put a motion detector light on the side of the garage. while there was no light box, there was a standard double outlet high on the wall that we never used. it was in the perfect spot and i figured the wires are all the same. i planned to just take out the handy box and mount a light box in the opposite direction to put in the light from outside. problem is, when i opened the box i found that the next outlet low on the wall (one that is in use) was wired in series from this plug. i need that other outlet so i can't just disconnect it. i was wondering how to proceed. i'm at the limit of my electrical knowledge. i wasn't going to just wirenut them together because the circuit is wired through the outlet with the corresponding wires on either side of the outlet.

so any help you can give me on how to get my light and still keep the second outlet would be very much appreciated
cheers

migelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

mounting a light from ac outlet box trouble

The new box is on the right. G=ground, W and n=neutral, H=hot, circles are wire nuts.

To keep the upper receptacle, use the first pic and replace the handy box with a 2-gang box to fit the recept. and the switch. To remove the upper receptacle, use the second pic.

If the boxes are metal (since you said "Handy Box") they need to be grounded.

Last edited by williswires; 08-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.
williswires is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, light, outlet, series, wiring