Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #1

Share |

Mounting Checkolite pot rack with lighting

I'm not confident on the ideal location for this post. If there's a better location, please let me know.

I've been attempting to decide on the ideal method to mount a Checkolite pot rack. (P1006-71)

The Checkolite installation instructions are published.

I am attempting to mount over an island. I'm replacing existing lighting, so the wiring is not of concern. What is of concern is that there is not any existing lighting box capable of handling the load, which is identified as 250lbs.

The current round electrical box is floating using straps. The joist is available off center. I've spent some time researching electrical boxes and mounting methods. Unfortunately, none seem to be ideal for my situation.

The pot rack has a mounting bar, which is the single load point. The mounting bar has a threaded pipe (hickey), which will require approximately 1/2" of space above the bar. As this space is required, I cannot mount the strap flush to the joist.

This mounting bar is also what needs to be bolted directly to the joist for reenforcing the main load point. Most electrical boxes do not seem suited for this application with the exception of this 4" raco from Lowes. However, this box does not appear to have enough clearance for the hickey and would likely result in off-center mounting due to the position of the joist.

My main goals and questions:

* Properly mounting while supporting the loaded weight of the pot rack
* Mount centered to the island even though the joist isn't centered to the island.

Could anyone help clarify my situation? I suspect I'm missing something obvious at this point.

I appreciate your time and consideration.

Best,

Warner.

Last edited by Warner; 06-16-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Maybe I missed it but the instructions call for independant support for over 50 pounds, not 250. I know the pots will add weight.

You siad the joist is off center. why not use a fan rated box with the spreader bar like this one?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

You can also find a retrofit version.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Maybe I missed it but the instructions call for independant support for over 50 pounds, not 250. I know the pots will add weight.
2. To hang fixtures weighing over 50 lbs. (over 25
lbs. in Canada) the mounting bar must be
supported independently of the ceiling junction
box. Recommend minimum of two 1/4" diameter
screws or bolts (not supplied)(rated for 200 lbs. or greater)
which must have sufficient length to be installed through
the mounting bar, junction box, and securely into
the ceiling structure member or cross brace. This
installation must be able to support at least four
times the weight of the fixture. Check this fact
before starting assembly. If unsure please consult a
qualified technician.

Definitely leaning towards the side of caution too. The last thing I need is to come home to a hole in the ceiling and a mess on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You siad the joist is off center. why not use a fan rated box with the spreader bar like this one?
That's a nice box, thanks for pointing it out. It's certainly better than anything I've yet found. I don't think Raco makes one as heavy duty for old work.

It seems like a 90lb rating wouldn't be enough. At this rate, it seems like there may not be many other options.

I appreciate your response.

Best,

Warner.
Warner is offline   Reply With Quote