Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #1

Share |

mounting a 1911 light????

Help please... I have been given some fabulous lights (3) I totally love. They are from 1911 and were in working order until they were taken down (their wiring has all been updated at some point too). My house is 1930, still some old wiring and boxes where the lights are to go.

I'm attaching pictures in hopes it will help. One is of one spot we took apart yesterday which shows the existing box which is about 3" in diam. The other shows the top part of the lamp which has 3 feet type things which would be screwed into the ceiling and then the wires fed down the rod. The rod then threads into the lamp and is a linchpin of sorts to holding the whole lamp together. The third is the lamp itself in it's old home.

My problem is the existing box is too small for the mounting part of the lamp. I tried Home Depot thinking I could get a normal lighting strap to screw the rod into (and forget using the feet thing) but the sizes they carry (2) don't fit the rod. We couldn't find any sort of universal type plate or anything I could either use to screw the feet into or the rod so I am stumped.

There must be a way to hang it since it was hanging before, but I don't know enough about parts and such to know what to do. Can anyone give me some ideas please?

Oh yes, please don't say get an electrician because believe me I would if I could (to have that wiring and boxes replaced while I'm at it) but right now there is a zero to nil chance of finding any where I live. Huge labour shortage and the trades are all working for builders and not doing homeowner type jobs.. really, I am not kidding.
Attached Thumbnails
mounting a 1911 light????-bulb.jpg   mounting a 1911 light????-bulb2.jpg  
Attached Images

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #2

measure the Outside Diameter (OD) of that rod and post it here.

It looks like you can just get a standard swivel cover, then find a way to make up the gap between the fixture canopy and the ceiling with decorative wood.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #3

The diameter of the rod is just a hair over .5". It's a bit bigger than the largest light strap they had a Home Depot. I'll attach a picture of the part I mean by a strap (see red arrow) just so everyone isn't as confused as I am.

What's a swivel cover? I tried googling and that term covers way too many things and none of them seemed to have to do with wiring.

Jean
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #4

Jean,

My PM should have the Info you need.

Matt
mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Electrician philosopher

Post the solution...I'm fascinated. I know how i'd do it at MY house. But not something i'd want to post.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #6

The thread can be either a 1/4" pipe thread or a 5/8" machine thread (coarse or fine) the best thing to do would be take it to a hardware store and see what fits. My guess would be pipe thread........ but I could be wrong. you can drill out the bracket and re tap the hole or use a nut on the back side (for the pipe thread you could drill thru a pipe cap to let the wire run thru.
mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #7

An update. Using the instructions Matt provided I made some calls. It wasn't quite as simple as hoped but one person lead to another and then to another and finally I found someone who works out of their home restoring antique fixtures and they say they can make me some sort of adapter either as Matt described or with some other pieces they have.

BTW I found out the part that mounts to the ceiling which I was calling feet is actually called a crow's foot.

So, thanks. Yet again this forum helps me wade through fixing up my house.