DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Motorised panel to hide some PC montiors (

nathanmcg 11-25-2007 02:50 PM

Motorised panel to hide some PC montiors
Hi. Can anyone please help me? I want to instal a motorised wooden panel in a desk unit that will drop to reveal my PC monitors (attached to the wall).

The panel will be solid (but not heavy, perhaps 6mm ply) so as to look part of the furniture/wall. I want it to rise and fall on the press of a button but cut itself off when it reaches either the bottom or the top. Any ideas how I could go about doing this simply and, importantly, not expensively? I'm a capable DIY'er - but wishing I had paid more attention in technology classes at school!


Marlee 11-25-2007 03:48 PM

I would suggest a DC circuit using a motor from a tape player, CD player or something similar. The trick will be to stop it at the correct position (top and bottom). For this I would suggest a small reed switch (magnetic) imbeded into the door or frame. You could set it up lik a garage door with a track and pulley system. It will take some work, but should be cool when all complete.

scorrpio 11-26-2007 09:40 AM

You could make up some concoction with a lever switch, pushbutton, relay etc, but I think an electronic solution would be more elegant. You might want to google specifically for 'motorized panel' - you should find the schematic.

One way to greatly simplify things is to have the panel go down by its own weight, maybe using a friction bearing to smooth the drop. And motor would only work for 'up'.

NateHanson 11-26-2007 11:08 AM

Don't reinvent the wheel. You can by motors and controls which will do exactly what you want, and all the problems are figured out. They're made for raising TVs out of cabinets at the foot of a bed, for one thing. They use a long threaded shaft, and a worm gear that drives it up and down.


nathanmcg 11-26-2007 12:40 PM


Nate: I'm all in favour of not reinventing the wheel. Any ideas on product names for what you've talked about. I've googled several combinations of key word and can't seem to find anything.

NateHanson 11-26-2007 02:35 PM

Try looking for "Linear Actuator" or "Linear Actuator Lift"

I think that should work. You might consider attaching the panel to a drawer slide, or drawer slides on each end, so that the slides are extended when the panel is up, and closed when the panel is down. That would keep the panel aligned, and moving smoothly, while the actuator would provide the motion.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1