Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

Motor/controller combo

Hey guys. I'm new here, so not sure if anybody has experience with big DC motors but here we go: I acquired a 1/2 hp 90vdc motor I would like to use on a large homemade buffer, mainly for the ease of dialing in the right speed for different jobs. I also have a Dayton dc speed control, but it's for 230vac input/180vdc output. Is there a way to make this controller work off 115vac so it only puts out the 90vdc max that the motor requires? Or should I shop/build my own controller? Thanks in advance.

Maddogmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #2

Motor/controller combo

Need more info on the controller. My guess is probably not but maybe. Half the input voltage could mean half the output voltage but there are other factors involved probably.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
I=E/R

Motor/controller combo

I take it you don't have 240 volts available in your work area.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Motor/controller combo

What info do you need on the controller? Pics or just tag info? I do have 220 in my shop, but I wanted to have it run off 110 if I can
Old 03-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #5

Motor/controller combo

Maddog,
You could try it. It's rated for connection to 220, hooking it up to 110 shouldn't harm it in any way.
Wire it to 110v and meter the output voltage.

I would not suggest trying it if the numbers were reversed...(putting 220 volts to something made for 110) ....That would ruin it.

Is the controller big enough to handle the load?
Is it's rated amps greater than the motors'?
Do It Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #6

Motor/controller combo

So far I've not had much time to mess with it, but I did plug it in to 110 and it kept tripping the breaker. I have no wiring diagram for this thing, so I'm not even positive it's wired right, but it's wired how it was in whatever machine it was on. I'm good with dc power but don't have alot of experience with ac, just basic wiring skills for simple things. Isn't there a difference between how the power comes through a 110 outlet and 220? Or do they work the same just higher voltage?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #7

Motor/controller combo

Oh, and the controller says it's good for up to 2hp and my motor is 1hp so it should be more than enough
Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Motor/controller combo

Need the model number of the DC controller and the model number of that motour as well due there are few diffrent way to hook up correct before I can comment more on this I need two items first.

BTW yes there is a 120 volt input controller on market but IIRC it only limited to half maybe 3/4 HP the most.

I havent check the price of that controller to work on your 120 volt circuit but before I post it I will double check the specs to make sure.

Otherwise the E-bay will may have something on their listing.

I have work on much larger motour size so I am famuair with it. { 300HP or larger }

Otherwise find someone if they can swap from DC motour to triphase motour with VSD { yes you can able use single phase input and triphase output } and can adjust the speed as well.

Merci,
Marc