Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

motor brushes wear out fast

I have a Delta 22 540 planer with a 120 volt 15 amp. the other day is just stopped and after a bit I removed the brushes and found the the copper wire that runs from the connect to the cap had burned up. I replaced the set of brushes. Since the I have gone through 3 sets on brushes. What is causing the brushes to wear out so quickly? Thanks

C. MacNulty

cmacnulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacnulty View Post
I have a Delta 22 540 planer with a 120 volt 15 amp. the other day is just stopped and after a bit I removed the brushes and found the the copper wire that runs from the connect to the cap had burned up. I replaced the set of brushes. Since the I have gone through 3 sets on brushes. What is causing the brushes to wear out so quickly? Thanks

C. MacNulty
C'est simple the commuatour bar on the armture on the motour is very rough you will have to take it apart and turn the commuatour bar down to smooth it out or take it to the motour shop they can do it for couple Euros once it get smooth and clean up then the brushes will last very long time just like oringal one is.

Merci.
Marc

oh'mike (03-12-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #3

best answer is to find an older JET planer 220v 20amp. planing takes more juice then a jointer. which one youstep up to a 8"jointer they are usually 220v considering the jet is 15" and that dewalt is 13" thats only 2" difference..way underpowered..especially when chances are you are going to be thickness planing hardwood.
You will be happy with your investment..but also over 200lbs
1488rob is offline   Reply With Quote