Motion, Photosensor, Light Switch To Choose Mode - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

motion, photosensor, light switch to choose mode

I'd like to have an indoor light switch that will let me put my outdoor front door lights in either motion-detector mode, photosensor mode, or always-on mode. Is there a switch for this?

Currently, the front door lights (sconces on either side of the front door) have switches on the actual fixtures to select either motion-detector mode or photosensor mode, and if I want to have always-on mode I have to turn the indoor light switch off for 3 seconds and then turn it back on.

The switches on the fixtures are badly designed and are hard to use. Plus I want to put some new lights there anyway that look better, and the new lights probably won't come with any built-in switches or motion-detectors or photosensors, since the better-looking lights I've seen don't have those sorts of features. (The lights I currently have have motion-detectors and photosensors built-in.)

If I put new lights there, I would plan on having just one external motion-detector and just one external photosensor, both mounted somewhere near the front door (probably above it), and then tie those in with the two new lights. But I need to know if there is a light switch to let me select the mode from inside the house. Does anyone know? It would have to have some buttons or something to choose the mode, in addition to having a standard up and down switch.

Thanks,
Nashville, TN

Advertisement

joshoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Leviton manufactures specific sensors like photosensor [only] sensors or occupancy [only] sensors (motion).

You could get one of each, then add your own separate switches inside to control these.

Perhaps install a double gang electric box with the existing switch on the left, then get a cover plate with a switch opening on the left and blank on the right, then drill a hole for a "selector switch".

Selector switches...

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #3

Are there any selector switches made for residential use? I searched some on the internet and didn't see any.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #4

I found a switch that might look acceptable for use inside a house:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6HP02?Pid=search

However, maybe it would be better if tried to find an external motion-detector/photosensor all-in-one with a switch built into it to select motion-detector mode or photosensor mode, and mount it over the front door. That would probably make the wiring easier.

If I did that, I wouldn't be able to select the mode from inside, but maybe that wouldn't be that big of a deal. Anyone know of an all-in-one motion-detector/photosensor?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I think most of the motion sensor outdoor lights also have a photo sensor built in. Read the package. Or you can read the instructions from the manufacturer on the internet if you know the manufacturer and model number.

With many things these days, you don't know the "features" until you open the package and start reading the directions!
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #6

I got (at Lowe's of all places) a Heath Zenith Secure Home 247582, which has a photocell and motion-detector all in one. There are no lights in this unit, just the photo and motion, with a bunch of controls on the bottom side of it. I also bought the box that the unit screws into, so maybe an electrician can mount this over the front door and wire it into my new front door lights, when I get them.
Here is the link:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-BZ&lpage=none

Advertisement