Motion Light Keeps Turning Itself On - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Motion light keeps turning itself on

The motion light on the side of my house keeps turning on for what appears to be no reason. It'll stay on for 1 minute...turn off for a few seconds....then turn back on. Some times it stays off for a few seconds, some times a few minutes, etc...

They recently changed my electrical meter from the old style to the new digital style. This is about 2 feet away from the light. I don't remember having this issue before that, but I'm not 100% sure. Could this be causing the problem?

It's also a few feet from the A/C unit. Could that be causing the problem? I'm not sure if it only comes on when the A/C is on (maybe it senses the fan movement?). That being said, I don't recall having this issue in previous years.

I have the exact same light fixture in another location and it's working fine.

Basically, what types of things will trigger the sensor? Does it have to be motion or does it pick up electrical triggers?

I have the motion sensor on its lowest possible setting and have even pointed the sensor in a different direction.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

the fan on the AC might be causing you your problems.

Try blocking the sensor altogether. Maybe they sensor has gone bad and is simply acting erratically.

If the light does not trigger with the sensor covered, is there some way to shield the fan so the light cannot "see" it? If so, uncover the sensor and shield the fan from it's view and see where that gets you.

I have never had a motion sensor react to EM or RF radiation that you might be getting from your meter. Not saying it can't happen (as I don't really know if it can or not) but never seen it.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,910

Motion sensors look for two things; heat from objects and movement. I think the hot air coming off the AC fan is providing both. Can you re-aim the sensor away from the Ac?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

many have adjustable sesitivity settings, but I find them all huge PIAs.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Motion sensors look for two things; heat from objects and movement. I think the hot air coming off the AC fan is providing both. Can you re-aim the sensor away from the Ac?
Heat, really? good to know. thanx for the information.
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
After looking at it again today, I have a big plastic trashcan between the light and the A/C, so it wouldn't be picking up the motion of the fan. I wouldn't think it would sense the heat either, but it's possible.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
many have adjustable sesitivity settings, but I find them all huge PIAs.
Yeah, I adjusted the sensor to it's lowest possible setting. Still having the problem.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantChange View Post
The motion light on the side of my house keeps turning on for what appears to be no reason. It'll stay on for 1 minute...turn off for a few seconds....then turn back on. Some times it stays off for a few seconds, some times a few minutes, etc...

They recently changed my electrical meter from the old style to the new digital style. This is about 2 feet away from the light. I don't remember having this issue before that, but I'm not 100% sure. Could this be causing the problem?

It's also a few feet from the A/C unit. Could that be causing the problem? I'm not sure if it only comes on when the A/C is on (maybe it senses the fan movement?). That being said, I don't recall having this issue in previous years.

I have the exact same light fixture in another location and it's working fine.

Basically, what types of things will trigger the sensor? Does it have to be motion or does it pick up electrical triggers?

I have the motion sensor on its lowest possible setting and have even pointed the sensor in a different direction.

Any ideas?
Hello,

I saw your post re: motion light coming on for no reason. I am having same prob and read your post from way back and my problem started the day they switched the meter from analog to digital and my motion light sits above and perpendicular but pretty close. I do not have a fan or anything else near it that moves and have not had wind. What did you determine was the problem?

Advertisement

jalancon is offline   Reply With Quote