Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Share |

Motion Light

I have had a Secure Home 240 °Halogen Motion Sensing Security Light - Bronze that uses 2 - 150W Halogen Bulbs up for around 2 years now on the front of garage and now 1 light does not work - replaced the bulb (with surgical gloves on) checked that night - one that was working before still works and the one with new bulb stiil nothing - thought may be bad bulb so got another new one the next day and installed it same way (with gloves on) checked that night had the same results, one with new bulb still not working, other works just fine. Any thought will be helpfull. Don

schaf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Motion Light

First do the simple tests: Put the new bulb into a socket that you do know works to test the new bulb(s). Then if they work, you will know that they are good. Next, take the working bulb out of the socket it is in, move it to the other socket, place one of the known, new, working bulbs into the now empty socket to see what you have. IF the known working bulb of the motion light does not work in the other socket-then you know there is a problem with the socket. I have found so many time this to be the problem: With the POWER OFF ! Look into the non-working socket, you will see the brass colored tab the bulb presses against when properly screwed in. WITH THE POWER OFF- -reach in with a pair of needle nosed pliers and pull this tab out just a wee bit. Now try an known working bulb in this socket, after turning on the power. SAFETY is critical here. If this doesn't work, then you may have a problem withe the wiring located inside the box where this light fixture is connected. IF you are not a competent electrical DIY person--call an electrician.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #3

Motion Light

It is not a screw in bulb, it one that is 3 1/2" long and has porclein on both ends, and pushed into light holder
Old 12-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #4

Motion Light

Quote:
It is not a screw in bulb, it one that is 3 1/2" long and has porclein on both ends, and pushed into light holder
It still MAY be a socket problem. Possibly corrosion? You may still want to swap bulbs to confirm both are working, also, as suggested by Thurman.

Another possibility is a wire. Within the electrical box, I expect that you would find the output of the motion sensor feeding two wires: one for each light. You should also see a second wire from each light connected to neutral (white wire). It is possible that one of these wires has become disconnected, either by coming loose, corrosion, or wire failure. It is not too difficult to check. Heed the advice of Thurman...If you are not comfortable with this, there is no shame in hiring an electrician.

BTW, I would not personally feel comfortable relying on surgical gloves to isolate yourself from contact with 110VAC. I suggest identifying which circuit these lights are on and shutting off power before performing work. I also suggest a modest ($5 or so) investment in a non-contact voltage detector to confirm absense of power. If, on the other hand, your gloves were a precaution against body oils on the hot lamp, never mind...good idea.

Last edited by oberkc; 12-23-2010 at 11:46 AM.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Motion Light

I think he was wearing gloves to keep the oil from his hands off of the lamp.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #6

Motion Light

Thank you all who have responded to my question. Yes the gloves were to keep oil off bulb.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #7

Motion Light

Looked at the wires they were o.k. ended up being corrosion on the ends the the bulb pushes ion to, could not see with eye but used pencil eraser and now works good as new. Thank you to all for your ideas as they were very helpfull