Motion Detection, Followed By Delay, Then A Timer? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Motion detection, followed by delay, then a timer?

I have no idea where to get help with this. I want to do a Motion Detector and Delay/Timer in one...

Basically, I need a outlet to be able to do the following in order:

1. Detect Motion
2. Start a delay timer based on the detected motion (i.e. 5 minutes). If motion is re-detected before step 3, keep resetting delay timer.
3. After the delay, turn ON the outlet
4. Start a second delay once outlet is turned on ( i.e. 20 minutes)
5. After second delay timer, turn OFF the outlet
6. Re-Arm

Is there a product or combination of products that perform this function without creating my own electronic circuits?

Advertisement

Last edited by dabagnale; 08-13-2012 at 04:33 PM.
dabagnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

No lighting company in the world makes such specific devices. You would need a combination of things to make that work.

I'd say you need a plc.

Advertisement

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Why the delay after detecting motion? Can you locate the motion to use distance as the delay? Then a standard motion would work pretty good.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
"So I Re-Wired It"

Rewards Points: 250

It might be helpful if you explained what this scenerio was for specifically.
Some people tend to overthink things (i know i do).
with more insight into this mystery, maybe someone could give a more realistic alternative.

Heck, it may even be simple and cheaper than what your proposing
Old 08-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

This setup sounds pretty intense...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
"So I Re-Wired It"

Lol, maybe for a new black ops security system. Gotta keep govt secrets safe, oh yah. Too late for that
Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZ View Post
Lol, maybe for a new black ops security system. Gotta keep govt secrets safe, oh yah. Too late for that
Great, you just involved both of us now...
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
MisterZ (08-13-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZ View Post
It might be helpful if you explained what this scenerio was for specifically.
Some people tend to overthink things (i know i do).
with more insight into this mystery, maybe someone could give a more realistic alternative.

Heck, it may even be simple and cheaper than what your proposing

The problem I am trying to attack is one of air ventilation.

Let me give a little more background and explain:

I have a small closet. Inside the small closet is a device called a CatGenie (automatic cat box). The cats go through the cat door, and into the CatGenie to do their business.

The CatGenie has a motion sensor which detects the cat and essentially does something very similar to what I am trying to accomplish. When the cat is done, a timer (which can be programmed to 5, 15, or 30 minutes) starts. The timer resets when it detects new motion (i.e. cat #2 or #3). Then when the time has passed where no cat is seen, the CatGenie starts a cleaning cycle. The cleaning cycle consists of scooping waste and flushing it, washing the left over granules with sanitizing solution and water, followed by an air-drying period.

The CatGenie works very well and I have little to complain about. Except one thing. Small amounts of waste sometimes (every 2 or 3 days this happens) get left behind because they are too small to get scooped by the rake. The smell when this happens permeates the entire 1st floor. The smell begins during the washing cycle and only gets worse during the dry cycle. AKA baked brownies.

I had to find a solution. So, after seeing others online with my problem, I cut a 4" key hole in the top of the CatGenie, ran ductwork to an inline fan, and ran the exhaust duct outside. It works well, but I don't like to leave it on 24/7 because of noise. Also, one of the cats is skiddish and the noise can freak her out.

So there you have it.

I basically want the fan to mirror the CatGenie cycles with an extra 10 minutes added on at the end of the cycle to make sure the air is scrubbed and vented thoroughly.

Last edited by dabagnale; 08-14-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 732

Is the cat genie 120vac powered or lower voltage?

You may be able to do what you want with a Time delay relay. In this case you want. Delay on break, not on make. Drive the relay coil from the motor wiring in the cat genie. If it is 120 or 24v. If it is something different then it gets more complicated. Set the relay to run the fan for an extended period after the pooper scooper cycles.

Functional Devices sells various relays including delay types.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Your flowchart in Post #1 does not address second trips or other cats
after the timer cycle is started so I do not think a simple time delay
will work. You would need something to reset the whole process every
time you get a 'detect motion' signal.

I would just get basic digital timer and set it to turn on your exhaust
fan for an hour a day.

Last edited by PaliBob; 08-14-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Better yet, an occupancy sensor set at an appropriate time interval.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #12

You might be able to approach what you want to do with one or two of these. I have been using one in my car for about 8 years now for immediate start and delay off. It has been very reliable.

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/co...lec/ck1614.htm

I will admit that I did not look at all the modes and try to figure out if it will work for your specifics.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

Why not a quieter fan? There are remote-mounted exhaust fans that are specifically designed to be so quiet you can't tell they're on, and they are already designed to draw from a flexible circular duct. The Fantech FR series comes to mind. They really are amazingly quiet, but move plenty of air. I think you'll find that solution much easier and more effective.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #14

Yes, I have already ordered a quieter fan. It's a Panasonic whisper inline fan. It moves about 120cfm at 1.0 sones. But why keep it running if I don't need to? Why not save a little energy (albeit minute).

When I think about it, I really just want the CatGenie to have a fan start when it starts, and when its finished, have the fan stop. Except, I'd like to have the fan continue for another 5-10 minutes after the machine stops.

Some people are using Belkin Eco Surge Protector Power Strips to activate their fans. Those strips are geared toward people using desktops and whatnot with accessory items like printers, scanners, monitors, ect. It turns these accessory units on when the main outlet is drawing a certain level of power (i.e. when the computer is turned on, the remaining attached components power on).

However, the CatGenie doesn't activate the strip when it starts. It appears to only draw enough power during certain times of the cycles... the drying phase draws sufficient power to activate the remaining outlets on the strip, but not all phases do.

I was thinking, if there was a way to do what the eco strip does, but better and more geared toward my application?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabagnale View Post
Yes, I have already ordered a quieter fan. It's a Panasonic whisper inline fan. It moves about 120cfm at 1.0 sones. But why keep it running if I don't need to? Why not save a little energy (albeit minute).

When I think about it, I really just want the CatGenie to have a fan start when it starts, and when its finished, have the fan stop. Except, I'd like to have the fan continue for another 5-10 minutes after the machine stops.

Some people are using Belkin Eco Surge Protector Power Strips to activate their fans. Those strips are geared toward people using desktops and whatnot with accessory items like printers, scanners, monitors, ect. It turns these accessory units on when the main outlet is drawing a certain level of power (i.e. when the computer is turned on, the remaining attached components power on).

However, the CatGenie doesn't activate the strip when it starts. It appears to only draw enough power during certain times of the cycles... the drying phase draws sufficient power to activate the remaining outlets on the strip, but not all phases do.

I was thinking, if there was a way to do what the eco strip does, but better and more geared toward my application?
I think you will find that the best odor control will be from a fan that runs continuously. You could use a speed control to turn it down, decreasing airflow and power consumption if you're concerned about it. I did exactly that for a similar cat box ventilation project awhile ago.

If I REALLY wanted the fan to run only when the device cycles, I would disassemble the cat box cleaning mechanism and use a signal that controls some aspect of the device (like the scooper motor) to trigger a one-shot timer that runs the fan for a set period.

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote