Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
WGD

Rewards Points: 10

More than a tripped breaker

I accidentally cut through a lamp cord and got big spark. The outlet it was plugged into and one other stopped working. There was a tripped breaker in my box, so I flipped it back on (after unplugging the lamp of course), but I still don't have power to either outlet. The two outlets seem to be the only things on that breaker's circuit, which probably makes sense since they are the only two in an addition to the house. There is no GFI. The wires inside each outlet box look fine. What is the next thing to check?

WGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGD View Post
I accidentally cut through a lamp cord and got big spark. The outlet it was plugged into and one other stopped working. There was a tripped breaker in my box, so I flipped it back on (after unplugging the lamp of course), but I still don't have power to either outlet. ... What is the next thing to check?
Open up the two boxes and check all the connections...
and with a tester for proper voltage.

Quote:
The two outlets seem to be the only things on that breaker's circuit, which probably makes sense since they are the only two in an addition to the house. There is no GFI. The wires inside each outlet box look fine.
uh huh ...check anyway.

If the breaker is on and holding (=you've read power on the wire there) but you have NO power at either box and... and there really is no other device (GFI or other)... then you have a fault somewhere in one of your walls. You *really* don't want this to be true.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

The plugs may have blew open. Check the connections with a meter as suggested, but I suspect you need a couple new receptacles or you blew apart a wire inwall.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check the affected receptales and make sure you double check the wirenuts if they are loose the short circuit can make them more looser.

If you did have backstabbed receptales then it is a good time to move to the screw types.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

Flip the breaker off and on --some need to be switched off fully before they will reset---
Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
Flip the breaker off and on --some need to be switched off fully before they will reset---
Now why didn't I think of that? Although the breaker shouldn't sit in the on position correctly without a reset it can still be deceiving. Good catch.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
Now why didn't I think of that? Although the breaker shouldn't sit in the on position correctly without a reset it can still be deceiving. Good catch.
Maybe the OP will come back and tell us if that worked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGD View Post
There was a tripped breaker in my box, so I flipped it back on (after unplugging the lamp of course), but I still don't have power to either outlet.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote