Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 34
Share |
Default

More grounding question


In the main panel, it used to have ground connected to cooper water pipe in front of my home. I added two ground rod about 8 feeds apart and connect this to the main panel.

Is it ok to leave the old ground which connects to the water pipe or should I disconnect it?

Can I repurpose the ground wire which runs between main panel and water pipe? For example, to ground other sub panel using split bolt? I have one sub panel which has *NO* ground.

Thanks a lot.

cfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Default

More grounding question


Leave the water ground.

No you cannot use it to ground a sub panel.

Sub-panel has a 3 wire feed? Pipe or cable?

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 34
Default

More grounding question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Leave the water ground.

No you cannot use it to ground a sub panel.

Sub-panel has a 3 wire feed? Pipe or cable?
It has 3 wire feed (2 hot, 1 neutral, no ground) through metallic conduit.

Do I have to pull a new wire? oh... I should be able to use the conduit for grounding.. Am I correct?
cfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Default

More grounding question


Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreak View Post
It has 3 wire feed (2 hot, 1 neutral, no ground) through metallic conduit.

Do I have to pull a new wire? oh... I should be able to use the conduit for grounding.. Am I correct?
Yes. What type of metal conduit?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
cfreak (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,396
Default

More grounding question


A metallic water line in direct earth contact for ten foot or more would be your primary electrode. The rods would be a supplemental electrode.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Port For This Useful Post:
cfreak (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 218
Default

More grounding question


Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreak
In the main panel, it used to have ground connected to cooper water pipe in front of my home. I added two ground rod about 8 feeds apart and connect this to the main panel.

Is it ok to leave the old ground which connects to the water pipe or should I disconnect it?

Can I repurpose the ground wire which runs between main panel and water pipe? For example, to ground other sub panel using split bolt? I have one sub panel which has *NO* ground.

Thanks a lot.
Where is the sub panel located?
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,783
Default

More grounding question


Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreak View Post
It has 3 wire feed (2 hot, 1 neutral, no ground) through metallic conduit.

Do I have to pull a new wire? oh... I should be able to use the conduit for grounding.. Am I correct?
The metallic conduit between the panels is the equipment grounding conductor.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
cfreak (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 34
Default

More grounding question


@Code05 - It should be RMC. It is threaded but it's also rustted.

@Sunny B. - The sub panel is in the garage of the same building.

Is there an way to connect ground bar to this pipe? It seems that the panel is color coded. I check by ohm meter between the box and the conduit and it seems to be not connected.
cfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Default

More grounding question


If the conduit to panel connection is not real good, you can use these.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
cfreak (09-17-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 34
Default

More grounding question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
If the conduit to panel connection is not real good, you can use these.

How do you call this? Do you know any online store sell it? (I can only find Halex ground clamp)

I cannot find it at HomeDepot.
cfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Default

More grounding question


Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreak View Post
How do you call this? Do you know any online store sell it? (I can only find Halex ground clamp)

I cannot find it at HomeDepot.
http://www.garvinindustries.com/Elec...Collar/GCHK250

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grounding question for subpanel mn1247 Electrical 26 09-19-2011 10:41 AM
Outlet grounding question handyd123 Electrical 5 11-28-2010 02:15 PM
Grounding a Square Box <--newbie question dgates12 Electrical 20 01-06-2010 06:02 PM
grounding to water pipe question eastvantrading Electrical 6 12-20-2006 09:49 AM
Question on Grounding ayudi General DIY Discussions 2 12-11-2006 04:14 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.