Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Share |
Default

More faucet/water shocks


Hi all,

I have read a few posts here about others having problems with receiving a shock while touching the faucet or water from the faucet in certain rooms. Today I experienced this problem in my kitchen. I was able to narrow the problem down to one breaker on my box, specifically one set of outlets. My question is can a faulty outlet cause this to happen?

I currently have the breaker in question flipped off until I can replace the outlet and see if that fixes the problem. There haven't been any changes to the electrical or plumbing in quite a while. This happened completely out of the blue.

Any advise that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Jess

Jelisa08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eighty Four, Pa.15330
Posts: 1,248
Default

More faucet/water shocks


Electric water heater?

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Default

More faucet/water shocks


No, gas water heater.
Jelisa08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,550
Default

More faucet/water shocks


Exactly what were you touching? Have you used a meter to measure voltages anywhere? While it is possible for the plumbing to become electrified, it is more common for another surface to be electrified and the plumbing to provide a return path. Were you touching a metal object or appliance other than the plumbing when you got shocked?
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
zappa (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Default

More faucet/water shocks


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
Exactly what were you touching? Have you used a meter to measure voltages anywhere? While it is possible for the plumbing to become electrified, it is more common for another surface to be electrified and the plumbing to provide a return path. Were you touching a metal object or appliance other than the plumbing when you got shocked?
I haven't used a meter yet. I was only touching the faucet or water when I was being lightly shocked, just as I usually would when washing my hands, etc. there wasn't any other metal in the area. The house is on a raised foundation and I was standing on tile with slippers on. I was able to persuade my unlucky friends to also touch the faucet and water and they had the same light shock. My refrigerator is on an outlet on the other side of the room and has a copper line for the ice maker. First I thought that might be a problem so I unplugged the fridge. However, I was still shocked after unplugging it. So I decided to trip the breaker for this outlet and I was no longer shocked. Could it be as simple as a faulty switch or is this going to get complicated?
Jelisa08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,901
Default

More faucet/water shocks


Is your disposal or dishwasher fed by that circuit by any chance?
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Default

More faucet/water shocks


My advice is...forget about trying to troubleshoot this over the internet. Call a local electrician.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (04-16-2012), plummen (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Default

More faucet/water shocks


Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Is your disposal or dishwasher fed by that circuit by any chance?
Unfortunately they are not fed by that circuit. The circuit that garbage disposal and dishwasher are fed by are still on and no problems.
Jelisa08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,901
Default

More faucet/water shocks


So much for simple fix,what is fed by that circuit?
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Thumbs down

More faucet/water shocks


The fridge (with a copper water line for ice maker), microwave, electric starter component of gas stove, and my desktop computer that shares the other side of the wall.

I have the fridge on an extension cord right now and no shocking is occurring. In fact the only time shocking has occurred is when that circuit is on, even with the fridge unplugged.
Jelisa08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #11
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,901
Default

More faucet/water shocks


I wonder if it couldnt be a problem with the stove like an open neutral feeding back through the gas line and being picked up by copper water lines?
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eighty Four, Pa.15330
Posts: 1,248
Default

More faucet/water shocks


........
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,901
Default

More faucet/water shocks


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Bad compressor in fridge.Leaking .
That was another thought,but he said fridge was unplugged and still causing problem.
That leads me to lean towards the stove gas line being mechanically bonded to plumbing system through water heater as a starting point anyway.
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 AM   #14
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,901
Default

More faucet/water shocks


Id check between the power cord for ignition/timer on stove and the metal gas at the stove for continuity to eliminate it from picture.
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Default

More faucet/water shocks


thank you for the ideas. I will check the stove out in the morning. Unless someone else has another idea and I don't have luck with the stove, I might have to bow out and call a professional at that point

Jelisa08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 xj6 Jaguar, rear shocks r/r edselsouth1 Automotive Repairs 0 02-24-2012 10:38 PM
97 olds shiloutte air shocks running on 4just1don Automotive Repairs 6 02-01-2012 06:45 AM
Do yellow dishwashing gloves protect against shocks? mike932 Electrical 45 05-20-2011 06:54 PM
static shocks oldrivers Electrical 6 02-05-2010 10:45 AM
Shocks in House nixonj63 Electrical 20 07-19-2008 01:06 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.