DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   More code violations! (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/more-code-violations-20117/)

jbfan 04-19-2008 10:47 PM

More code violations!
 
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...411boxfill.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...oxconduits.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/jboxfill.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h.../jboxcover.jpg

I haven't got the picture posting thing down yet, but here are a few violations I found this week.
This is from a remodel 11 years ago, and now a tear out for a yet to be determined remodel.

The floor is now open for discussion.

nap 04-19-2008 10:51 PM

You are going to have to tell me what is the violation for number 2 and 4. Nothing jumps out at me.

jbfan 04-19-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 117633)
You are going to have to tell me what is the violation for number 2 and 4. Nothing jumps out at me.

I thought about that after I posted. Box fill is ok, but with 2 conduits bringing in the 42 circuits might be an over fill problem.

I also failed to state that nothing was derated, all on 20 amp breakers.

Stubbie 04-19-2008 11:36 PM

This would be an interesting discussion but we need more than just photos to determine deration problems or conduit fill violations. We need number of conductors per conduit, conduit size, wire type and any multiwires etc...

220/221 04-20-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

I haven't got the picture posting thing down yet, but here are a few violations I found this week.

Go to Photobucket.com or another hosting site and open a free account.


Edit....well duh...you have a Photobucket account.

You can upload a crapload of pics there and each one has it's own URL. Click the "direct link" on the pic you want and it will copy it to your clipboard. When you click the picture icon you will delete the http thingy and paste the copied URL. The pic will appear in the post.


http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...2/DSC01553.jpg


I dug that hole and 3 others just like it by HAND (planting trees)

I am a bad ass

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...2/DSC01570.jpg

Stubbie 04-20-2008 01:13 AM

Whew... darn big hole. What are the trees? Sorta look like Magnolas.

Speedy Petey 04-20-2008 08:46 AM

What did that poor kid do wrong???? :(

BigJimmy 04-20-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 220/221 (Post 117647)

Suh-WEEEET bar!

Hey, I gotta dig out underneath a 6x8 bump out in my house to install a full 42" deep strip footing. Wanna come over?

Jim

BigJimmy 04-20-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 117670)
What did that poor kid do wrong???? :(

Nuthin'. 220's a liar-that picture was taken just as his kid was finishing the hole!:laughing:

chris75 04-20-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 220/221 (Post 117647)
Go to Photobucket.com or another hosting site and open a free account.







I dug that hole and 3 others just like it by HAND (planting trees)

I am a bad ass

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...2/DSC01570.jpg


Do that in the northeast and i would agree your a bad ass.

jbfan 04-20-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubbie (Post 117642)
This would be an interesting discussion but we need more than just photos to determine deration problems or conduit fill violations. We need number of conductors per conduit, conduit size, wire type and any multiwires etc...

OK. 1St picturs has 5 mwbc, 3 phase #12, thhn, with a #10 netural per mwbc. Total of 16 #12's and 5 #10's coming from a 1 " into a 411 box. #circuits leave this box and feed the cubes, 4 mwbc leave this box and continue into a 3/4 conduit.

Cu of box is 42. Since all wires are spliced, they count as 2 so 31 #12 is 69.75 cu, and 10 #10 is 25 cu, so therfore the box is filled to 94.75 cu, more than twice the box size.

Derating should be at 50%, but would be less, because of the conduit fill from the panel with all 42 circuits entering the large jbox from 2 1 1/4 inch conduits.
7 mwbc, plus a #10 for each mwbc should have a drating facter of 45, so each circuit should be on a 13.5 amp breaker!

Speedy Petey 04-20-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJimmy (Post 117694)
Nuthin'. 220's a liar-that picture was taken just as his kid was finishing the hole!:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LawnGuyLandSparky 04-21-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 117705)
Do that in the northeast and i would agree your a bad ass.

Thank you. Amazing what passes for dirt these days... up here we call that sugar. Did you get a look at his "shovel?"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.