Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Mobile Home Service

Am I looking at the correct cable for running from Meter Base and Disco to panel inside the Mobile Home?

I'm thinking this requires 4 wires, but the listing implies only 3 wires 4/0-4/0-2/0 AL URD

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire...8#.UT5mnzdVpTc

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Mobile Home Service

Where are you reading that that cable is listed for a mobile home service? It is NOT.
A mobile home requires a disconnect away from the unit and a 4-wire feeder service the structure.

It's all in Art. 550.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,236

Mobile Home Service

I love this statement from the site!

Designed for problematic installations due to adjacent utility work, homeowner or voltage surge damage
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

Mobile Home Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Where are you reading that that cable is listed for a mobile home service? It is NOT.
A mobile home requires a disconnect away from the unit and a 4-wire feeder service the structure.

It's all in Art. 550.
sigh! thanks, Speedy.

OK, there is currently a meterbase and disco about 2-3' from the trailer. The trailer is going out, and a new trailer is going in.

I'm assuming that the existing disconnect and meter base is rated at 100 amps (I haven't looked inside the disco to see the breaker rating). I want to provide for 200 amp because this is the rating for the new panel.

I also don't want to reuse the existing SE conductors, even if they are rated for 200 amp; I don't know their current condition, and the new trailer is going to be set on concrete slab, so a bunch of construction is going to happen before I run the new service.

Now, what cable is it that I need if the above is not correct?

Last edited by sirsparksalot; 03-11-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Mobile Home Service

Well, if the service is rated @ 100A then you'll need a complete service upgrade.

Typical cable from the disconnect to the house is 4/0,4/0,2/0,4
http://www.southwire.com/ProductCata...prodcatsheet15
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
sirsparksalot (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #6

Mobile Home Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Well, if the service is rated @ 100A then you'll need a complete service upgrade.

Typical cable from the disconnect to the house is 4/0,4/0,2/0,4
http://www.southwire.com/ProductCata...prodcatsheet15
Speedy, thanks for the reply. I'm actually trying to find 4/0-4/0-2/0-#2 URD, but I don't see Home Depot as carrying this.

Also, is URD the same as USE?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Mobile Home Service

Buy 4/0 URD from the supply house and add a #2 USE conductor the same length. But you don't need wire that large for 100 amps unless you are upgrading everything to 200.
sirsparksalot (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #8

Mobile Home Service

Thanks, rrolleston. Is the following correct?

For the 4/0 URD:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2023163...8#.UT6pzDdVpTc

For the #2AL:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2023046...8#.UT6o9TdVpTc

Last edited by sirsparksalot; 03-12-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mobile Home Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post

Just want to give you a head up just becarefull with URD cable they gernally are not rated to go indoor at all unless they are dual rated like URD / RHW or simuair to that.

Merci,
Marc
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #10

Mobile Home Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Just want to give you a head up just becarefull with URD cable they gernally are not rated to go indoor at all unless they are dual rated like URD / RHW or simuair to that.

Merci,
Marc
Marc, thanks for the heads-up. This is going into a brand new mobile home, and there's supposed to be some type of conduit (ENT, maybe?) that the feeders will run in to the panel.

What would you recommend instead?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Mobile Home Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
Marc, thanks for the heads-up. This is going into a brand new mobile home, and there's supposed to be some type of conduit (ENT, maybe?) that the feeders will run in to the panel.

What would you recommend instead?
If my memory do work right the 200 amp panels typically use either 2 inch or 2.5 inch PVC conduit which it will be allready for you to guide the conductors thru.

And you may have to use the large junction box something like 12X12X4 or 12X12X6 will work for this purpose ( some case you may have central air that need to be outgoing from panel so this part will work very well due it will keep the conduit clean and keep most of the critters out.

The type of conductors I useally either XLPE alum conductors or THWN copper conductors.

But with alum conductors just be aware that the conductor will be automatically upsized to comperized with voltage drop issue.

But if you can get 200 amp rated Mobile feeder cable all by means use that.

That will be the first choice to use.

Merci,
Marc
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #12

Mobile Home Service

Now, the question is: the new mobile home is going to be set on a concrete foundation, and my concern is how to actually run the service... well the plumbing too, but that's for another day.

Will I need to make sure they provide a crawlspace? I mean, I haven't been involved w/ a MH set on a permanent foundation before, so I'm particularly naive to this.

The existing home is coming out Wednesday, then the foundation I guess and the new home will come in. Wat can I expect on this?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Mobile Home Service

Install an empty 2" PVC conduit from the new home's stub-down pipe -- under the foundation -- and then back up to your outside disconnect box.

THEN you can pull in appropriately sized THWN, XHHW or USE conductors to make the final connections.

IF you decide to use the URD or other similar cable assembly, you may be able to direct-bury it, BUT you will have to protect any exposed portion of that cable with PVC conduit down to 18" below grade.

Ensure that your outside disconnect box is rated for at least 200 Amp service, or else you will have to replace that as well.

PS: Type SE cable was never permitted to supply a mobile home. HOWEVER, if your new home is permanently mounted on a solid foundation, it may be possible to reclassify it as a "modular" home and then type SE-R cable may be used as a sub-feed (but not buried, even in conduit).

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!

Last edited by kbsparky; 03-12-2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added post-script
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Mobile Home Service

4/0-4/0-2/0-#2 You will want 2-1/2" PVC schedule 80 wherever it's subject to damage. I a similar project when I updated the panel in my mobile home to 200 amps.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #15

Mobile Home Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
PS: Type SE cable was never permitted to supply a mobile home. HOWEVER, if your new home is permanently mounted on a solid foundation, it may be possible to reclassify it as a "modular" home and then type SE-R cable may be used as a sub-feed (but not buried, even in conduit).
OK, let's talk about this. I got this opinion from a Master in my area that SER could be used, but I forgot to ask size questions.

He suggested, as others here have, to use 4/0 4/0 2/0 #2 URD (a.k.a XLP, USE, XHHW) through Sched 40 from the disconnect to inside the trailer, and then I could use SER from there to the stub down-pipe if the panel was quite a distance from where it enters. He suggested that the SER and URD could be spliced in a Carflex JBox then ran to the down-pipe.

Of course, if any of this sounds odd, I may have misunderstood, and I'm not able to reach him at this hour. So, if you could confirm, or adjust my thinking for me, I'd appreciate.

Summary of Work:

New 200A Disconnect
New 200A Meter Socket
Mobile home is going to be on concrete slab (Does there need to be access under thee trailer, per law?)

Attached is a drawing of what he gave me - yep, drew me a pic and I'm still clueless
EDIT: I had to resize the pic, sorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by sirsparksalot; 03-12-2013 at 09:01 PM.