Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 AM   #1

Share |

Miswired wall outlets

i have 3 bedroom wall outlets that are part of a circuit that also includes a bathroom. the 1st outlet wiring includes - 2 white, 3 black and a ground. the 2nd outlet includes 2 white, 2 black and a ground. the 3rd outlet includes 1 white, 1 black and a ground. .... i am doing something wrong with the 1st outlet , as i can't seem to get these to work .... any suggestions on the correct wiring for the 1st outlet? help !!
JAL1553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Miswired wall outlets

According to you count, you're missing a wire at the first outlet. If you have three blacks, you should have three whites.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #3

Miswired wall outlets

agree with HH...make sure when you count wires not to confuse singles with those that may be pigtailed.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Miswired wall outlets

Could be that the first receptacle is half switched. One black would come from a switch and connect to 1/2 of the first receptacle, with the tab broke out. The other 2 blacks would be your line in and out to the next receptacle. They would be pigtailed and connected to the other 1/2 of the first receptacle. The whites are in and out. At the 2nd receptacle you have the blacks and whites in and out. At the third, you just have the line in.

The trick is to find the switched black at the first receptacle if my guess is correct.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #5

Miswired wall outlets

Wire come in sets. If you have 3 black then you should have three white and three ground. Find the missing white in the first receptacle. Connect it with the other whites and everything down stream will probably work.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Miswired wall outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Wire come in sets. If you have 3 black then you should have three white and three ground. Find the missing white in the first receptacle. Connect it with the other whites and everything down stream will probably work.
Haven't you ever run across a box where the home owner/handyman just cut off the white and ground flush because he only needed a black switch leg? I've seen that many times.

Not that you are wrong on this one, you might be 100% correct. It would be easy enough to look.