Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #1

Share |

Are mini-freezers more efficient than mini-fridges set to "freeze"?

I recently chisled an ice block from the tiny freezer box located within my mini-fridge. When I did this, a metal wire that acted act a temperature controller was severed, and now the whole mini-fridge is as cold as the freezer box was.

This actually may be a lucky occurrence, because I only used the fridge for the freezer box and now have a lot more room for frozen items.

My only question: is my mini-fridge on permanent freezer mode going to be a huge energy expense? Would it make more sense to get rid of it and buy a mini-freezer?

Thanks

Delta223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #2

You make me sick, mistreating the appliance by hacking away the frost.

If it works as a freezer, no problem using it as such. But check the temperature to be sure that if it is giving you 25 degrees F at the far corner, you were not expecting 10 degrees.

As far as being an energy hog, it requires analysis by a thermodynamics expert. This takes into account the R value of the insulation in the appliance walls and the SEER value of the machinery (not published for refrigerators).

Setting the dial (thermostat) on a refrigerator is often a trial and error process that takes into account room temperature (indirectly taking into account the R-value of the insulation) and how often you open the door. A separate freezer compartment in a single section refrigerator helps maintain the freezer tempertature inside alongside the "refrigerator" temperature in the rest of the space. While the energy efficiency of any refrigerator can be improved by putting extra styrofoam or other insulation on the outside, this can make the thermostat setting for freezing inside the freezer compartment and not freezing just outside to be more critical. Although the exact dial setting is not critical when you are maintaining the entire interior as a freezer.

Taking your situation on a case by case basis and the information I have so far, I suggest that you do not get rid of it.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-17-2011 at 10:23 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

You cut the thermostat sensor. The fridge or freezer will now run 24-7. It has no indication of temperature so it just keeps running. Thats why everything is freezing. If thats okay with you, its okay with me.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Running 24/7 may produce freezing temps, but with great inefficiency.

A freezer of similar size would not have the need to operate continuously. Get a new sensor for your fridge, and get a freezer for your frozen needs. You'll use a lot less electricity in the long run

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #5

I'm not sure if the freezer is running continuously for a couple reasons

1) I hear a humming noise turning on/off
2) From what I can tell, the fridge is not "over-freezing"

I believe the thermostat sensor is now just dangling within the fridge itself but still regulating the temperature. I can even adjust the temperature using the fridge dial (though I'm not sure if the freezer temperature is supposed to be a fixed temp, or adjust in parallel with the degree of coolness that the fridge is set to)
Delta223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Get one of those timers that allows almost unlimited on and off settings in a 24 hour period. Set it so the fridge can be on most of the time but gets a rest for about an hour evey now and then. You can vary the on and off times so the fridge maintains the sub freezing temperature you want but does not run 24/7.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #7

Cool!!!!
Hourglass52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #8

Remember the purpose for having a freezer...proper food preservation with a heavy emphasis on food safety. Don't let the electrical issues get in the way of the bigger picture. Make certain you're not creating another hazard by trying to salvage a situation.

Freezers should be closer to 0 deg F than 25 deg F.
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #9

You broke it!
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #10

Two choices #1 Replace the thermostat. #2 Replace the refrigerator for a freezer. It will run 24/7 never shutdown and it will not keep the food at the proper temperature as previously mentioned. NOTE: Always use a hand held hairdryer to defrost refrigerators/Freezers.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote