Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Miller Syncrowave 180SD TIG

Hi all,

I just recently bought a Miller Syncrowave 180SD. AC/DC- TIG/ARC welder. I have been reading most of the threads on here of hooking up the electric for similar welders. My panel is located on the opposite side of the house from my garage. I will be running the line 120+ feet through the attic and down into the garage. I live in northern Arizona, where out side temps can reach 110F. Here are my questions based on my calculations. (which may not be sufficient)

The specs can be seen here on page 18 http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o360j_mil.pdf It is rated at 208-230 input voltage. 54 amps on the out put. And all calculated at 40 duty cycle.

1.) Will # 8 AWG be sufficient to run through an attic that can reach these temps? Or should #6 AWG be run?
2.) Should I run this to a sub panel in the garage? As I would have multiple welders such as another MIG machine I would want to plug in?
3.) Do I run this wire from the service side of the box or from the breaker side? Would that depend on sub panel or disconnect box.
4.) What "plugs" are required to plug this machine in. I donít think that I will safely be able to use a NEMA 6-50p and a NEMA 6-50rÖ NO?. I know that the spec sheet says to hook up to a disconnect device but I would like to use different welders on this circuit.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited by BRONZE; 09-05-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: title misleading
BRONZE is offline   Reply With Quote