Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,341
Rewards Points: 34
Share |
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Older houses had little exhaust fans above the stove---it was allowed to tap any convenient circuit in those days.

Todays code calls for a dedicated 20 amp circuit (electricians--correct me if I'm wrong) Because the new microwave/fan/light combinations draw a lot of juice.
got it dead on mike MUST HAVE 20AMP DEDICATED CIRCIUT.

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
Military Mom of 4
 
Snav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 974
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Older houses had little exhaust fans above the stove---it was allowed to tap any convenient circuit in those days.

Todays code calls for a dedicated 20 amp circuit (electricians--correct me if I'm wrong) Because the new microwave/fan/light combinations draw a lot of juice.
Hmm - interesting.

I'm assuming that's some higher-power models, not all. . . of course.

If I was in this situation per the OP I'd just get rid of the Microwave - have more usable cabinet space there and have a traditional vent. . .purely because I don't like overhead micrawaves - they're illogial.
__________________
At this present moment in time I am making cabinets for the kitchen - just in case you wanted to know what I'm doing when I'm not around.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
Member
 
47_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Springville, NY
Posts: 1,456
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Personally, I'd get rid of the plasma and get an LCD tv.
__________________
What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #19
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,015
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Has to be more to it than the microwave and plasma. A 15 amp circuit will carry 1800 watts. If the plasma is 600 watts (unlikely) and the microwave is 1100 watts that is 1700 watts but that being put aside it should be on a individual branch circuit as the manufacturer will specify it to be so. It does not have to be 20 amps unless the manufacturer specifies it but you might as well ... might want an upgrade someday.
__________________
" One nice thing about the NEC articles ... you have lots of choices"

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,637
Rewards Points: 30
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


I believe my local code calls for 20 amp dedicated for the microwave---also the fridge--and dishwasher

Makes for some rewiring when a kitchen is redone.


--Just to be clear--I am not a licensed electrician--so I always take the word of one of the licensed members--however--local code can trump national code---so do check if you are in an area that has very restrictive codes--
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav

Hmm - interesting.

I'm assuming that's some higher-power models, not all. . . of course.

If I was in this situation per the OP I'd just get rid of the Microwave - have more usable cabinet space there and have a traditional vent. . .purely because I don't like overhead micrawaves - they're illogial.
Illogical to free up all the counter space? I believe you are in the minority with that opinion
Jimbo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47
Personally, I'd get rid of the plasma and get an LCD tv.
Plasma has a better picture. I have 2 LCD tvs in other rooms. Plasma looks better for football golf tennis etc. better recovery rate Color more vivid too.
Jimbo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


My dishwasher is on its own circuit. Only major appliance in my kitchen not on it's own breaker is the refrigerator
Jimbo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Is it possible to have a "weak breaker". Or is it a work/ doesnt work component?
Jimbo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #25
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,637
Rewards Points: 30
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Bad breaker is unlikely---a high powered microwave with the new convection option will suck up the amps--I've upgraded microwaves for folks and had the new one trip the breaker---so the new ones are drawing more power than the old ones did--
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #26
Canadian home owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SK, Canada
Posts: 29
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Keep the plasma, it's a superior picture to a LCD. It does require more power than a LCD and probably takes in the area of 300 - 500 watts, maybe more.

Not sure about the NEC but in Canada the CEC says a dedicated circuit of either 15 or 20 amp must supply a built in microwave. If the microwave sits on the counter and doesnt have it's own shelf or permanent place, it can be plugged into a counter outlet. Counter area outlets cant be shared with anything else. As well, the fridge and dishwasher require dedicated circuits, according to the CEC.

You're tripping a breaker because you are trying to run 2 high powered devices on the same circuit. Get up to code and run a dedicated circuit for the microwave.

Last edited by pw5599; 12-14-2011 at 12:35 PM.
pw5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,508
Rewards Points: 32
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Personally, I'd get rid of the plasma and get an LCD tv.
LCD's might use less power but,
Plasma's pictures are much better,
much brighter,realistic brighter colors.
The colors dont always look right on some LCD's.
The reds in particuler look too emphisised.
Bright red skin colors instead of the pale pink.
And no settings of the controls seems to fix it.
I know which one I would want.

But then I am not overly concerned about power consumption.

Sorry I disagree ! plasma pictures are supierior to LCD.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax
LCD's might use less power but,
Plasma's pictures are much better,
much brighter,realistic brighter colors.
The colors dont always look right on some LCD's.
The reds in particuler look too emphisised.
Bright red skin colors instead of the pale pink.
And no settings of the controls seems to fix it.
I know which one I would want.

But then I am not overly concerned about power consumption.

Sorry I disagree ! plasma pictures are supierior to LCD.
LCD is better for video games and animated Blu rays. Plasma is superior when viewing real life video particularly sports. Manufacturers obviously went away from plasma for economic reasons. Probably cheaper to build for the equivalent screen size vs plasma. Cheaper to ship because they weigh less than half compared to plasma. They probably also get a subsidy for achieving the energy star rating which is much easier in the LCD format. I compare it to high fidelity audio equipment. Digital and even analog transistor amplifiers sound great but nothing compares to old fashioned tubes for dynamic sound reproduction. Cost was the primary motivation to move away from tubes. Plasma went by the wayside for the same reason.
Jimbo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
Military Mom of 4
 
Snav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 974
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Microwave oven trips breaker


I have a plasma, too - they have a longer life span, as well. Between the two they're ideally viewed from the range that our couch has to sit at. HOwever: things have changed over the years - LED's are better visual quality yet still more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo65 View Post
Illogical to free up all the counter space? I believe you are in the minority with that opinion
I'm 5' tall - I can't reach overhead microwaves safely so I'm building a cabinet that will house the microwave and get it off the counter instead

__________________
At this present moment in time I am making cabinets for the kitchen - just in case you wanted to know what I'm doing when I'm not around.

Last edited by Snav; 12-14-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A/C trips breaker bize Electrical 13 07-23-2011 01:42 PM
What size breaker for 4100 watt wall oven? romexican Electrical 3 09-15-2009 09:34 PM
Microwave ground prong sparks/melts upon plugging it in microwaveman Electrical 30 05-10-2009 10:30 PM
20 Amp Breaker only trips once in a while panhandlion Electrical 14 11-26-2007 08:36 PM
breaker trips when too much is used lightone Electrical 11 04-29-2007 10:20 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.