Microwave Outlet Move - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Microwave Outlet Move


We are replacing our microwave, exhaust hood in the kitchen. I had a hard time finding where the outlet for it was, so when I took the microwave down I found something very interesting. The microwave has it's own circuit, I believe it may have been an exhaust fan intially. The previous owners of the home replaced the kitchen cabinets. The new cabinets come lower than the previous, and the exhaust duct is covered. That is not the problem. The problem is they took the wiring, connected a regular 2-plug outlet, they taped (with electrical tape) around the outside of the outlet, plugged the microwave into it and pushed the outlet into the wall. (so it is floating)

Here is where I would like suggestions. I would like to run the wires into the cabinet above where the microwave will be mounted and put an outlet box in the cabinent for the microwave. Here is what I would like recommendations on:

*What type of box? (Metal, PVC, example model name/number would be great)
*Should I mount the box to the bottom of the cabinent or the back?
*If it is not on the wall, or butted next to the wall I assume that I should run the wire in conduit.

Any other suggestions would be great!



Rsinc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Electrician philosopher
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 838
Rewards Points: 500

With the micro wave down you can easily assess where the studs are in the wall. Go to the home center and buy a "single gang plastic remodel box". Sorry, don't have model # handy.

Making sure you don't cut into a stud, cut hole in back of the cabinet. Fish the wire up to this new hole and install box. Install recp. Bask in the glory of a proffesional job done.

The new micro will have a template showing you where to drill a hole in the bottom of the cabinet so the micro cord can pass through and plug into your recp.

I'm commercial now, but when I was resi me and the guy I worked with would have time trials installing micros. We are talking NASCAR pit crew fast.


Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
Rewards Points: 250

The plastic remodel box Andy is talking about can be found at Home Depot. They call it a "20 cubic inch, single gang, non metallic, old work switch box with zip-mount retainer.". Their sku number for it is 141206. Cost: $1.74.

Make your cut out in the drywall 2-1/4" wide X 3-3/4" high.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Electrician philosopher
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 838
Rewards Points: 500

Darn...It was on the tip of my tongue. Thanks buddy.

Andy the stuffed turkey.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just for fun Andy in ATL Electrical 56 10-20-2009 09:33 AM
Wiring a switch, power from outlet Big Bill Electrical 4 09-15-2007 03:59 PM
20a Outlet Vs. 15a Outlet bobo Electrical 3 05-29-2006 10:55 PM
Adding garage outlet Shane Electrical 1 02-23-2006 04:43 PM
European 220V outlet "Schuko" estophile Electrical 6 08-27-2005 08:45 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1