DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Microwave Outlet Move (

Rsinc25 11-22-2007 01:42 PM

Microwave Outlet Move

We are replacing our microwave, exhaust hood in the kitchen. I had a hard time finding where the outlet for it was, so when I took the microwave down I found something very interesting. The microwave has it's own circuit, I believe it may have been an exhaust fan intially. The previous owners of the home replaced the kitchen cabinets. The new cabinets come lower than the previous, and the exhaust duct is covered. That is not the problem. The problem is they took the wiring, connected a regular 2-plug outlet, they taped (with electrical tape) around the outside of the outlet, plugged the microwave into it and pushed the outlet into the wall. (so it is floating)

Here is where I would like suggestions. I would like to run the wires into the cabinet above where the microwave will be mounted and put an outlet box in the cabinent for the microwave. Here is what I would like recommendations on:

*What type of box? (Metal, PVC, example model name/number would be great)
*Should I mount the box to the bottom of the cabinent or the back?
*If it is not on the wall, or butted next to the wall I assume that I should run the wire in conduit.

Any other suggestions would be great!


Andy in ATL 11-22-2007 02:20 PM

With the micro wave down you can easily assess where the studs are in the wall. Go to the home center and buy a "single gang plastic remodel box". Sorry, don't have model # handy.

Making sure you don't cut into a stud, cut hole in back of the cabinet. Fish the wire up to this new hole and install box. Install recp. Bask in the glory of a proffesional job done.

The new micro will have a template showing you where to drill a hole in the bottom of the cabinet so the micro cord can pass through and plug into your recp.

I'm commercial now, but when I was resi me and the guy I worked with would have time trials installing micros. We are talking NASCAR pit crew fast.:laughing:

send_it_all 11-22-2007 03:40 PM

The plastic remodel box Andy is talking about can be found at Home Depot. They call it a "20 cubic inch, single gang, non metallic, old work switch box with zip-mount retainer.". Their sku number for it is 141206. Cost: $1.74.

Make your cut out in the drywall 2-1/4" wide X 3-3/4" high.

Andy in ATL 11-22-2007 03:46 PM

Darn...It was on the tip of my tongue.:laughing: Thanks buddy.

Andy the stuffed turkey.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1