Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Meter Surge Protection Unit??

Hello,
Has anyone ever used or installed the whole home meter surge type protection units, such as Leviton?

Would there be any concern with buying one that has been in storage for a few years?

Also, how can I confirm whether my meter is a ringless or a ring type? It is a Landis & GYR type 3 SOCO meter box but I cannot find a specific model number?

Thanks, Ralph

Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Check with your POCO to see if you're allowed to use one of these. Here in northern California, PG&E states they'll rip any of those off if they find them. The POCO's documents would also indicate whether they want a ring or ringless socket.

Finally for ring sockets, I believe you should see a metal right going around the meter which then has a little POCO "tamper proof" clip holding it together. At least that's what we have here.

a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
Check with your POCO to see if you're allowed to use one of these. Here in northern California, PG&E states they'll rip any of those off if they find them. The POCO's documents would also indicate whether they want a ring or ringless socket.

Finally for ring sockets, I believe you should see a metal right going around the meter which then has a little POCO "tamper proof" clip holding it together. At least that's what we have here.
Thanks a_lost_shadow!

I checked with my POCO last week to see if they offered those surge units, which they no longer do, but didn't think to ask if I could install one myself.

I hadn't really been considering those until I came across one being sold for cheap. An older gentleman bought one a few years ago but never installed, so he has chosen just to sell it.

Can you explain the ringless vs ring type? I assume in case of the ringless, the unit just slides into the meter slot(plus neutral hookup), then the meter slides into the Leviton. Whereas the ring type will use a ring to secure those units together? In case of the later, do I need two rings? One to secure the Leviton and one to secure the meter to the Leviton?

Ralph
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote